Another leather wallet, with a Wood grain pattern!

Now in the catalog!

I had a lot of fun with this one! After making one for a friend using someone else’s pattern I didn’t like how most of it came out, so I sat down and using some graph paper I designed this pattern from scratch, adjusted for using a smaller stich and went to town.

This was my first time dying proof grade leather so I wanted to try a “Streaking” method I had seen online before. Basically instead of using a cloth to wipe it clean you use a foam brush with a bit of excess dye, leaving the pattern slightly streaky looking. After playing with the pattern for a bit it looked like a wood grain that I was aiming for so I let it dry, and the rest is history!

I also found that using toothpicks as a hole cleaner for soot left over by the laser can be very convenient, albeit tiring on the hands.

Till next time! Hock

Edit: pattern has been submitted to the catalog!

34 Likes

The stitching is always the first thing I look at in a leather piece, and yours is very nice indeed! Love the wood grain effect as well.

For cleaning the holes, I usually thread some Pearl cotton onto a needle and run it through each hole. Sometimes I’ll soak the thread in alcohol first. But it’s probably not any easier on your hands.

8 Likes

Thanks for the tip, I don’t have any of that cotton so I worked with what I had and it actually didn’t turn out badly. My wife loves how clean my stitches are :grin:

4 Likes

This looks great!! I’m getting ready to work on some belts for Christmas for my grandkids. Your stitching looks wonderful too!

6 Likes

Nice streaking! :blush:
Cool design, graph paper! That is great.
I agree the stitches are wonderful.

6 Likes

Beautiful— I think you are ready for your own maker’s Mark. You can make one with Delrin.

2 Likes

I was thinking about that recently actually!

2 Likes

Yep! I wanted to graph it all out because I wanted to make it my own, and I didn’t want to be accused of stealing someone else’s designs. Over all I’m really thankful for the Glowforge skills I’ve acquired over the last year because templating it out in ink scape was a breeze!

4 Likes

Nice! I still need to figure out what make for my family since it’s gonna be a low key Christmas this year

3 Likes

You have become a glowforge Jedi master

6 Likes

That turned out really nice! The wood grain looks spectacular. Great job!

5 Likes

There are still some aspects that elude me, but I’m absolutely far from the starting line!

3 Likes

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if it was gonna happen the way I wanted it since I hadn’t tried it before

3 Likes

I bought one of those little gadgets that are supposed to make paint look wood grain years and years ago. I have yet to use it. :rofl: I may have to woodgrain a board and then engrave it on the GF. Hmm…

4 Likes

The Wallet pattern should be in the catalog shortly!

3 Likes