Another Locking Advent Box

I’ve seen others and came up with my own way of handling things. It’s big enough for a jackpot of candy, small enough that it isn’t in the way. Had many many iterations but I can get almost three boxes out of two boards. I’ve used modified pawl (adds the clicks, but doesn’t prevent backward spinning) to help make it feel more tactile. Fun, in a way, to fail many times to get here. Good that it uses only a sheet of maple ply maximum per box. The real experiment was finding a green acrylic to stain the base of the dial-turner. It’s amazing, all other colors are okay but green, most acrylic greens just wouldn’t take. Ended up with a multi-surface matte from Michaels and glossed it with tung oil.

Oh, and it only opens when you hit 24…

36 Likes

Great job. I love the optimization of material and the sound.

I am always amazed at how much material it takes to make a box.

11 Likes

This is super cute!!!

8 Likes

Me too. This one is about 4X4x4, so with careful arrangement I can get all of one and part of another on one board. It’s a puzzle, though, arranging things for getting the most from a board.

7 Likes

Anyone else surprised that I could get Christmas Kisses in September?

6 Likes

Nice job. I wish I was surprised that you have Christmas candy, but Christmas lights are for sale at Target and I pretty much think Christmas merchandising is always on.

8 Likes

I figured with all the dog references it would have dog treats or even santa might sneak in a puppy at the last minute though a bit small for that. The corporations are getting ready for Valentine’s now.

10 Likes

:astonished:

5 Likes

Love it!

1 Like

Really nice! Could you explain in a little more detail how the pawl works please?

3 Likes

I don’t have a photo of the mechanism itself, here is how it works. I’ve got the numbers on a toothed circle, the two piecces are glued in place with a bit of tension in the arm (the outer part is glued, the arm that touches the wheel is not). Enough that the wheel turns easily from the handle but has just enough friction from the pawls, plus it clicks the numbers into place neatly in the window (several clicks between numbers, obviously. I wax the top of the wheel and cut out those parts to aid smooth turning.

10 Likes

Insightful and fascinating - thank you!

2 Likes

Those are better for a counter-clockwise turn, I have them reversed on the final for clockwise. It will turn either direction, but it’s cleaner going clockwise.

3 Likes

A great, and fun project!

1 Like

That is so clever and well done! I love it!

4 Likes