Another Ornament-this time for me

I wanted to make an ornament for myself. I like seeing the funny ones, but they are starting to be a constant reminder that this year wasn’t funny at all and my laughter is resembling hysteria.

The engraved message, summarized by my non-exact translation is this: Wait in the shadows, it will become bright.

I’m sure there is a more poetic way of saying it in English, but the closest that comes to mind is: and this, too, shall pass.

Anyways, sharing for my own enjoyment. The first one I made was on maple with clear acrylic, but it was bigger than I imagined and the acrylic fit too loose; I wanted to get away with no glue. So the next one i made, with walnut and frost acrylic, was adjusted to be a friction fit. No glue necessary.

And I was today years old when I realised how hard it is to take pictures of clear acrylic.

46 Likes

Lovely!

3 Likes

Love that! So pretty (my 14 year old is currently obsessed with Japan, I should really try something like that for her) :slight_smile:

4 Likes

“The skies are clearest after the storm” may be the poetic version you’re looking for.

That’s beautiful!

6 Likes

That is a good one too. Makes me picture a boat out on open water.

3 Likes

Beautiful; Japanese-themed things always make me natsukashii. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That is awesome!

1 Like

It’s lovely!

2 Likes

Absolutely love it.

2 Likes

Wundershoen!

2 Likes

Fantastic work! I like how they piece together! Great cutting work.

2 Likes

Oh, that is so gorgeous, and I love the sentiment!

3 Likes

Love it!

2 Likes

Wow, great sentiment and first I thought you’d used rice paper, but that’s a nice friction fit!

2 Likes