Another replica electrical antique

Until they don’t… :wink:

3 Likes

Great design and outstanding distressing and aging - masterfully done.

1 Like

I think math is taught backward. The way I learned from 1st through high school was basic arithmetic, algebra, Trig, pre-calc, & calc. This is like teaching someone how to use tools without showing what you can make with them. Or perhaps asking someone to assemble a jigsaw puzzle without seeing the picture first. It wasn’t until I was in calculus that I finally understood what the heck those inequalities were for that I learned about way back in 7th grade. Maybe better to start with the question & learn everything you need to know in order to answer it.

When I was a little kid we had a huge oldgrowth fir tree in our yard. I asked my dad how tall it was, & he showed me how to figure it out. I was still in grade school, but he showed me how trig worked & how to do simple alegbra to solve for the unknown. I was so curious about it after that that I read the entire chapter on math in his old ICS radio repair correspondence course.

I know this is probably impractical to pull off with a room full of kids, all interested in different things, but there has to be some middle ground somewhere.

That tree is still there, by the way, and it’s 170’ tall.

6 Likes

That is beautiful. I think it’s truly a work of art, you should really be proud of the results.
I have restored antiques for 40 years and I would be ecstatic with that piece.

Side note: Looking at the screws reminded me of a time I needed 4 copper screws to finish a project (long before Google and Amazon). I actually bought a brush plating system just because it would plate in copper. Cost me nearly $8500 for the stupid thing. Fortunately, it also did 24k gold plating and I made my money back in a few months restoring old jewelry, watches and gold plating bathroom fixtures and car emblems.

3 Likes

Or alternate facts…

1 Like

This is super cool!

1 Like

Hometown Bellinghamster here! Love the SPARK Museum!

2 Likes

Thank you! Do you still live in Bellingham?

No, I’m in Portland, OR now and looking to move to the SW, but I love the 'Ham and my family lives there. I have said my whole life that I don’t think I get a choice about dying there, it’s that kinda quicksand-esque hometown. Pulls you back in eventually. :rofl:

2 Likes

Hah, Spark Museum! I lived in Bellingham for 5 years (2008-2013). Miss that place. Great music scene up there.

1 Like