Another restoration victory

The wife found this roadside many years ago and I did some initial repairs but it never had a tray. It had rotted away. Well, we now need it for the second granddaughter so I finally made a tray for it. not a great color match but totally functional.

I know so much more now than I did when this was first brought home that I may just have to go back and redo some of the early repair work with my better ways of doing things.

This project makes me wonder how 1/4" might be stitched together to actually make small furniture pieces?

41 Likes

What a cute little chair…being given new life! Looks good to me!

2 Likes

Whoa! You did a stunning job on that! If it wasn’t for the different color, it would look just like the one my mom has in storage! :ok_hand: :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Wonderful job!

3 Likes

Wonderful!!! Don’t forget to waterproof it! :grin:

5 Likes

Water would be the best-case scenario… :innocent:

6 Likes

Pip rivets? copper wire used as threads?

I’m not sure if this is a question or a statement?

Oh, you mean you didn’t understand my cryptic half-questions? ha ha
Sorry about that. You had asked how some 1/4" plywood could be stitched together to make some furniture and I was just brainstorming. Could pop rivets be used? Or could you actually stitch almost like a needle and thread using some copper wire? Someone in my Instagram feed has been doing the copper wire with some tables and it looks awesome. I just can’re remember the screen name at the moment so I can’t point you to a photo.

2 Likes

Okay, if you had quoted that line… :smile:

Lots of possibilities including those. I was thinking of maybe laminating several layers to get the strength and then tab and slot with ample glue.

Yeah, I like I said, not sure why I was so cryptic. Sorry. ha

Or, if you don’t use tabs, integrate a 3/8" hole in the same place in each layer and glue a dowel in there and cut flush. This is an old way of “pinning” layers or two pieces together and it can really really cool as part of a design too, especially if the dowel is a different species from the wood of the rest of the project! Obviously, you could just drill out a hole once you clamp the layers together, but it would be cool to cut your dowel pin hole with the laser.

3 Likes
New photo by Mark Evans

Already in use.

8 Likes