Antarctic Dreams

I’m a big fan of the comic strip “Bloom County” by Berkeley Breathed. So is my older brother who served in the Air Force flying B-52’s and T-38’s. I should mention that my brother is a bibliophile to the extreme (20,000 books? - maybe more) and has been going through a rough patch health-wise of late.

So, I decided to combine the strengths of my Glowforge, my CNC machine and my 3D printer to create a diorama (18" deep/wide by 12" tall) of Opus clasping a book to his chest titled “Antarctic Dreams”. Figured this surprise might brighten his spirits.

Opus and the lamp shade came off the 3D printer. I used my CNC machine cut out the MDF base and sculpt the scaled-down baseboard molding. Finally, the Glowforge cut out the floor boards (1/8" Baltic Birch) and the books (black and white heavy card stock).

As I went along, I decided I wanted the lamp to actually work, so I soldered up a short LED strip to a battery box which is attached to the back. It makes a nice accent light.

Personalized the collection of books strewn around the floor as ones I know he has in his collection. I sure wasn’t about to try and make all 20,000! :slightly_smiling_face:

Anyway, I’m pretty happy with how it came out and I’m pretty sure my brother will enjoy it.

56 Likes

Huh, that’s quite a project, nicely done.

Also bonus points for including Contact. Sagan’s a lifelong hero of mine, good choice.

6 Likes

Thank you. I included that one because I’m fairly certain that my brother has an autographed copy from having met him once.

4 Likes

Oh man, that’s so great.

1 Like

Aww, how adorable. And what a sweet project to make. You are a very good sibling!

4 Likes

THAT IS AWESOME!!! oop-ack!!!

Jonathan

3 Likes

That is fantastic! I hope he loves it as much as I do!

2 Likes

I have a stuffed Opus up in my office too!

2 Likes

Best.Nightlight.Ever!

2 Likes

I know your brother will love this. I wish him improved health.

3 Likes

That looks awesome!!

3 Likes

Very cool. I am sure your brother will love it. The added detail of the book covers really is a nice touch. I can imagine him playing with it - turning the light on and off! Great job. Such a thoughtful gift.

4 Likes

I love this, and if your brother doesn’t love it, I’ll be your sister!

4 Likes

A beautiful piece! Perfect for the end of a bookshelf.

2 Likes

I am sure it will be loved. Came out rather awesome.

Bloom County triggered me though, so I imagine i will spend the next hour or so wandering into the archives. Has been long enough it should all be almost like new except for the “forgot the brakes” skit. I have that one on the wall.

13 Likes

Love this, it’s such a lovely idea and done perfectly! Something that can be stared at for ages and never get bored!

2 Likes

Spectacular!! I’m sure he will love it.

3 Likes

Wonderful! He is going to love that! It will put a smile on his face for sure! I hope he gets better soon!

3 Likes

Oh gosh, what a wonderful gift! Such a personalized creation can’t fail to be loved.

3 Likes

I’m thinking he won’t be able to stop looking at it. Excellent gift!

3 Likes