Antique Font question

I know I can’t use this excuse for too long but I am a newbie, 3 days with my Glowforge and I love using it!!! I have been asked to create small 1x3 plaques for antique Bibles. The earliest one was hand written in the 13th century. What would be a good font to use on the plaques?

2 Likes

Start with any of the Old Englishes?

6 Likes

Doing a 13th century writing search showed a specific looking font used a lot with minor flourish changes across the board, which would happen if all were hand written. (see images below).

Fast examination on a few font sites and hermandec (Herman Decanus AH) was only one to bubble out that could be read without struggling too hard.

Not sure that is what you are seeking. If not, a lot of free font sites exist and I only looked at 3 of them.

In conclusion, you may have to decide, much like some fancy calligraphy fonts, where to draw a line between easy to read versus optics.

7 Likes

Specifically you should look for a font called Blackletter. That time period it was all still hand written so there will be some variation :slight_smile:

Most of the “Old English” ones add a lot of flourishes that are extraneous and make it harder to read.

This one is a nice font: Archking Font | typefactory | FontSpace

3 Likes

I’ve had good luck with DaFont. Here’s their search for Old English.

4 Likes

They’ve got some really nice Blackletters :slight_smile: Nice resource!

3 Likes

Here’s a few :slight_smile:

Oh, this one too

3 Likes

Thank you everyone. I found a few from your suggestions that are hard contenders.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.