Any Glowfolk in Pittsburgh?

It’s funny how different regions have different unofficial driving rules. In Texas (outside of the major metro areas) it’s considered polite to pull over and drive on the shoulder on a two lane road to let faster traffic pass you. Here even cops will do it. Anywhere else in the country and it’s a ticket. One of the questions my son missed on his driver’s test was about driving on the shoulder. The rule book says don’t, but custom here says do :smile:

4 Likes

The neighborhood must of exploded at Purim though :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Every year during Purim, my old roommate in Pittsburgh would attempt to make one square hamantasch amongst the rest of the triangular hamantaschen, and every year when we pulled the tray out, they would all be triangular. He was so confused, and never found out what happened, but every year he would be more and more scrupulous while monitoring the baking of the hamantaschen.

During our last year their he even employed his newly purchased webcam to record everything, but still was unable to find the culprit. I finally fessed up the last year when we moved out that I had been squishing the sides of the square hamantaschen into a triangle, but never told him how I got past his guard.

I havent talked to him in years, but I know every time purim rolls around he still wonders about it =)

9 Likes

Not to be confused with Racoon City… :astonished::mask:

5 Likes

Oh yeah, and Falling Water isnt too far from Pitt either. Im sure you have that on your list, but just had to mention it, as im a huge architecture fan.

On that vein, be prepared for some strangely pronounced names in that area. For example theres a Versailles close, but they pronounce it VER-SALES. yeah…

Theres also a tiny town called Intercourse, PA! I think they only have 1 stoplight. haha

2 Likes

As a kid, lived for a few years east of there in Hollidaysburg, near Altoona. So incredibly beautiful in the fall – I still remember the smell of the apple orchards in October, and local delicacies like scrapple and shoe fly pie and hard maple sugar candy :relaxed:

2 Likes

I did some work for Sheetz a couple years back which meant I had to visit their home base in Altoona. Definitely a lot of open land out that way.

2 Likes

I went to Geneva College up in Beaver Falls, PA. Definitely found out a bunch of weird named cities. Chattenooga, Cranberry, Slippery Rock, Mars, Moon, etc… But always loved going down onto Squirrel hill for Dance Parties! I taught a swing dance class at school, and we would periodically go to this school in Squirrel Hill on Saturdays to dance and show off what we’ve learned. We’ve been in a couple of local newspapers because of that.

2 Likes

@steph I think we’ve decided. You’re moving to Squirrel Hill! =)

3 Likes

Well, with all these awesome endorsements, I don’t see how I couldn’t live in Squirrel Hill! Thanks everyone!! :grin:

3 Likes