Any October update on shipping schedule?

Ditto.

4 Likes

Also looking for this answer.

2 Likes

@dan recently confirmed they are still on track for the schedule posted at the top of the forums.

3 Likes

Based on the last post that had anything substantial to report (which was over 1 month ago), there was a feeling that things were still on track.

Now that we are past mid October, with probably only 1 to 1 1/2 months to start shipping to meet the deadline, I would expect the GF team to be able to provide a more substantial update on the progress. The last official update that wasn’t answering questions on different threads was July 17th…

4 Likes

I agree the timing is appropriate for an update. As stated, there have been no official updates on shipping since July. And no official announcements in general in over a month.

Any news is better than no news. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I found @dan’s reply to you very promising for delivery at least.

But you’re correct. There hasn’t been an official update for a while. Those do make it easier for anyone who doesn’t visit the forums regularly to be updated.

It just seems like every time they do an official update it chains @dan to the keyboard for a day or two. Personally would like him working on getting Glowforges shipped.
(Not to say that I don’t bug him enough with questions as it is.)

Just my personal opinion.

8 Likes

Looking forward to the noise…

11 Likes

I have something half written that hopefully will be finished and posted this week. :slight_smile: I’ll give you a sneak peek though: lots left to do, no schedule change.

Very, very true.

30 Likes

I’m NOT replying directly to Dan as to not chain him to the keyboard for a day or two. Instead I’ll just say YIPPIE!

8 Likes

For those of you saying the announcement at the top of the page hasn’t been updated recently, I just noticed right now that it was in fact updated in the last day or two to include the year in the October 25 date, but no other changes were made.

5 Likes

That had to have been TODAY because I mentally noted that the year WASN’T there just today.

3 Likes

I’m sure there would have been some ordering this month that would assume a December 2016 delivery if the year had not been added.

2 Likes

I will say from experience, many times the closer you get to the final release companies tend to go a little silent, partly because they are down to the wire and can taste the finish. In many ways less posting over the next two months could be construed as positive, especially considering the fact that glowforge has been pretty open and regular with their updates to this point. I have no doubt @dan will do his best to keep us informed, but when it’s close to time for. shipments to start the company should be slightly overwhelmed for a few weeks. There will be more to do than people to do it regardless of the size of the company. I can live with that.

6 Likes

Yes, every day right now should be filled with innumerable minor tasks and hurdles. At every moment it will feel like “In about 5 days we should be able to announce the start of final production.”

Then a few dozen innocuous events occur, each slipping the schedule by 15 minutes or so, which quickly adds up to one more day. But that means the next day you are still about 5 days from being able to make the big announcement, so of course a minor update would be just so pointless…

Not to imply they are at the point of seeing a potential 5 day forecast. I would expect right now they are pretty much finalized on production molds and designs, but have a handful more areas on the assembly front which they hope to optimize. Once they are done with that (or hit the time limit for fiddly optimizations), there is just about enough time left to start one or two major certifications (which were previously given an unofficial overlook for obvious faults, but now need the full final official seal of approval).

Certifications would likely be primarily out of the control of Glowforge themselves, so they would be stuck exactly where we are at that point: Biting their nails and waiting for the big all-clear, which will finally let them make the big announcement.

5 Likes

Good eyes - @rita let @bailey and I know that people were emailing support with that question.

2 Likes

An update does not take a day or two to craft…[quote=“kennethclapp, post:13, topic:3169”]
times the closer you get to the final release companies tend to go a little silent, partly because they are down to the wire and can taste the finish. In many ways less posting over the next two months could be construed as positive, especially considering the fact that glowforge has been pretty open and regu
[/quote]

Updates open and regular? I think you have been reading a different forum that I have…

Communication is always the key to a successful relationship. I think, in a case like this, where people have spent thousands on wishware, monthly announcements are appropriate prior to shipping, then minimum quarterly announcements post-shipping (roadmaps, etc.).

All a matter of expectations and perspective.

3 Likes

Maybe not for most people. Been told I’m a great engineer but would be a lousy marketing person. It can take me a whole day to craft a paragraph. It’s not always easy to explain simple things to a broad audience. Throw in the lawyer and investor spin and it gets nasty real quick. On the other hand you would think the people with PR attached to their title would be trusted to do the PR stuff.

9 Likes

I’m happy with the reply that @dan gave above. I don’t need anything more in depth. His statement that there are things to do, but no schedule change, is good enough for me.

5 Likes