Anyone else on the hook for an Elegoo Jupiter?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/elegooofficial/elegoo-jupiter-128-6k-mono-msla-3d-printer/

4 Likes

$800 kickstarter not too shabby.

Jonathan

2 Likes

Is it still going to be released in December?

1 Like

So I am reading it correctly that it’ll be a $169/year subscription after the first year?

I’ll wait to see what the reviews are. I have a mars and like it but would need to see that this is much faster per layer to jump on it.

2 Likes

Only if you want to keep the pro version of Chitubox. You can use the free version, with limited slicing features or other free slicers.

1 Like

Vast majority of the inexpensive resin 3D printers use the same motherboard (or maybe chipset) that’s tied to ChiTuBox, the slicing software. The Mars we have is no different. AnyCubic, EPax, Elegoo, Longer, etc It’s one of the reasons their UI screens are similar.

ChiTuBox’s site always hinted they’ll release a “Pro” version of their free basic slicing software. It’s recently released under a subscription model, but I haven’t bothered to remember what “Pro” offers. Same reason I don’t find it necessary to recount everything Glowforge Premium offers. (Sorry Dan) The Jupiter Kickstarter campaign is including the first year’s subscription & the FAQ indicates the printer works with the basic version.

All the Mars iterations has shown Elegoo knows how to do MSLA printing, so I have no qualms about them doing a much bigger version with a 6k panel. Having said that, I’m in no rush for their December batch. My June estimate should ensure any major issues are ironed out.

Given how close I was to pulling the trigger on the Form 3L in 2019, three FormLabs resin vats ($300@) would’ve covered the entire cost of an Elegoo Jupiter.

1 Like

I heard that some of elegoo’s printers are locked into chitubox. True?

Seems like it’s the mars3. I would suspect that this is their plan going forward?

https://www.reddit.com/r/ElegooMars/comments/ox5kg3/can_someone_explain_why_the_elegoo_mars3_is/

2 Likes

I couldn’t say one way or the other. I have the Anycubic Photon. But in the Kickstarter it states that the Jupiter will be compatible with “other third party slicers”.

2 Likes

3D printing technology was developed by a large community of makers and enthusiasts with an ethos of open contribution. Regardless of any particular company’s specific contribution, it was built on that base. Locking all of the commercial hardware to their own proprietary software is a grab to control the commons of the community.

Providing a “free” as in “free beer” option isn’t the same as maintaining the existing open (as in “free speech”) option.

I am not sure what the answer is here. It seems like ChiTu needs competitors. Maybe the printer manufacturers like Elegoo can start making their own boards. I understand Elegoo tried to talk ChiTu back from this course. Ultimately, though, Elegoo is responsible for this if they want me to buy their machines.

If ChiTu wants to sell subscription software, they should make better software with features people want to pay for, not leverage a monopoly position to force people to pay.

In any case, I am not really interested in purchasing any ChiTu-based printers until this is satisfactorily resolved. I am not upgrading firmware on my Elegoo Mars (which may also lock it to ChiTu Box) or, upgrading past ChiTu Box 1.8.1.

I think the Anycubic Photon Mono X and the Prusa SL1S use non-ChiTu boards. The later is a $2K USD printer, though.

Huh….I was under the impression that the move was going to be, “use any software you want to edit and arrange, but to get the final slicing file, you must run it through chitubox cause the machines won’t recognize anything but the proprietary file format.”

This was 3-4 months ago though so maybe chitubox changed gears a bit?

From one of the KS updates:

Chitubox and Lychee Slicer have negotiated the SDK file issue, and we believe you will soon be able to use Lychee Slicer on Jupiter.

The devil will be in the details there.

2 Likes

Indeed.

And thank you for the update. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Additional reference for those interested in all this:

1 Like

If it’s a mono screen it may be much faster. Though I’m beginning to think that the really large size resin printers even with mono screens aren’t as fast as the smaller ones. I think it has to do with the suction on the fep (nfep in this one I think) rather than the layer cure time though.

1 Like