Anyone else trained their dog to alert them when their GF job finishes?

Anyone else accidentally train their dog to alert them when their Glowforge job finishes? Totally did it by accident by getting up when the fan stops and I guess my pup learned to alert me when that happens. :joy: So handy.

34 Likes

Indeed!!

4 Likes

That’s funny! Smart dog!

3 Likes

Haha, the dog do something useful? Not in this house. The only thing this 8 year old alerts me to is when he would like another bone to eat.

16 Likes

That’s so cute and cool! I can understand how such a creature of habit might learn to do that but I never would have thought it to happen.

3 Likes

That’s hilarious and oh so handy. :laughing:

4 Likes

I love hearing, “my dog can’t be trained,” or whatever variation of that. If they repeatedly react to something that either you do, or something in the environment, they are trained! Grabbing your keys, grabbing a leash, grabbing the poop bags, or whatever.

8 Likes

When my daughter was away at basic training last year, communication was limited to letters and one 30-minute call on Sundays. There is a service you can pay for (sandboxx) that provides expedited delivery on-base, and also pre-paid, pre-addressed return envelopes. We wrote to her every day.

So I was anxious to know when the mail was delivered, and I can tell the sound of the mail van pulling up, I’d get up and look out the window to confirm, so I could go see if there was a letter from her. Of course Nova would look out too, to see what I was “anxious” about.

The sofa under the window is my “dog sofa” and that’s where she’d be most of the day. After just a few weeks of that, she would look out when the mail van came, even if I just stayed put and ignored it.

If you think that’s interesting… we had a parrotlet, and his cage was on a table next to a bay window overlooking the back yard and driveway. He was a “watch bird” and would go nuts whenever strangers came up, BUT only strangers - even regular non-family, our occasional yard guy, he would ignore. Even though we would get frequent deliveries from FedEx, UPS, and often the mail van would have to come up onto the property, he would let us know as well - and that would trigger the dogs as well. If the bird didn’t “go off”, the dogs just kept sleeping.

I set up a motion cam once to see what he did when we weren’t home. Caught deliveries a couple of times. He just looked out and went back to sleeping. He was one smart little bird. He also learned to fly down onto the floor and walk around the kitchen with the dogs. He thought he was just like them. :rofl:

8 Likes

An awful lot still depends on personality and what the animal feels is important. If you are getting up and running to the window randomly the dog will become untrained. I trained an older dog and he was one of the worst in the obedience school. One time when he broke I yanked the collar so hard he did a backflip, and he then figured it out. Later at the final show, one of the other dogs broke at him, and he almost fell over laughing at him.

1 Like

Great training tip! Mine just bark at my glowforge they hate the noise! How do I get my dogs to stop barking at it lol

1 Like

We have two dogs, Trixie and Winston. They both just lay on a pillow under my work table whenever I’m in my craft room. The only noise that bothers Winston is if I use my vacuum sealer - he’ll either come downstairs or go into Trixie’s kennel back in the bedroom (which we keep her in at night simply because she insists on trying to get under the sheets, whereas Winston sleeps on the bed but just lays down on top). But the Glowforge, vacuum cleaner, even the shop vac in the craft room - he’ll just lay there.

1 Like

I need to teach my puppy this! :smiley:

Tonight we are teaching him how to play with a punch balloon. :rofl: (So far, he’s mastered picking it up by the rubber band handle.) That’s not nearly as useful, though it is entertaining.

1 Like

Ok, that is just too cute! :blush:

So cool! Now teach him to push the magic button :grin:

2 Likes

We lost our Portuguese Water Dog this past fall, but still have our standard poodle. My daughter (grown up) was with me that morning as she died. Now the poodle gets spoiled to death in some ways. For her and his comfort, she started letting him sit on her bed when she was studying or just hanging out. Now he gets upset if she won’t let him. But the interesting thing is she works mornings rom 6-12:30. I have ring cameras on the garage and back patio and when they detect motion my Apple Watch dings. He knows when she is supposed to be home, so when the watch dings he jumps up and runs to the door waiting for her to round the corner.

3 Likes

Awww… this is the sweetest! (And sorry about your other dog - I’m still missing my MinPin who we said goodbye to a few years ago)

1 Like

Nova left me just before Christmas. Huge hole in my heart, she slept beside me every night and laid on the sofa beside me while I worked every day since I rescued her about 9 years ago.

7 Likes

Rio is like that at daycare. At 415pm, he will separate himself from his play group and go inside to wait for me.

5 Likes

I am so sorry!

3 Likes

It’s what we sign up for when we get pets, We lost 4 dogs and the bird I mentioned within a year.

2 Likes