Anyone have experince trademarking a saying?

I’m just beginning to toy with the idea of trademarking a short little saying for use on goods, and I was wondering if anyone has experience in doing it themselves via the USPTO site? It’s a unique saying that isn’t trademarked and has a very narrow focus, so it would very likely be easy to get the rights to it. I also know it’s probably completely unnecessary, and if I’m honest, it would mostly be for bragging rights amongst the small group of people who would be interested in it. It’s not like it’d make me a ton of cash, but when I casually looked into trademarking, I was surprised to find out how relatively inexpensive it is to apply and that made me go, hmmmm… :thinking:

6 Likes

" In the United States, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) manages trademark registration. You can trademark a phrase at the local level by applying at your state trademark office. To trademark a phrase locally, you must already be using the phrase publicly. You can apply for a nationwide trademark with the USPTO. With the USPTO you can apply with the “intent to use.”

Phrases eligible for trademark registration include catch phrases, taglines, slogans, and mottos. A catch phrase is an expression commonly used by a real or fictional person. This kind of phrase can be an important part of marketing your product or service. That makes it valuable and worthy of trademark protection."

Taken from https://www.upcounsel.com/how-to-trademark-a-phrase

5 Likes

Yes, thank you. I’ve actually been to the USPTO site and even started the first step, but was wondering if anyone has actually been through the process and how painful and labor intensive it all was. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Gotcha. Sorry, closest I’ve ever done is a copyright. I haven’t been through the Trademark process myself.

1 Like

I file trademarks regularly. It is a fairly simple and inexpensive process. Let me know if you have any questions. I am happy to help.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

3 Likes

Remember, you need to mark ©2021 by MacGeek™ all your trademarks, and anything printed or online needs to have the marks so its not challenged.

®2021 By Jonathan Gleich (macgeek™) All rights reserved.

PS: WELCOME to the Forum @kjones !

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.