Anyone ordered a replacement shipping box?

I’m a little put off by the 250.00 replacement cost…but worse yet, they are out of stock (how is that even possible that they wouldn’t have boxes to ship their product? I get Just in Time manufacturing, but having no spare boxes is wierd.

anyway, anyone have any experience with how long it usually takes them to come back in stock?

Huh, you’d be the first I heard of someone doing it.

You have to ship back to GF or just moving/selling it?

I think I read one time that $250 is pretty much what it costs to ship a box that size, but maybe I dreamed it…

3 Likes

I have a friend I’ve been cutting some stuff for… I’ve decided to streamline things by letting him borrow it for month or two…went down to get the box and realized that it had been damaged pretty badly from an “event” in the basement.

You’re probably close to right. Large box, foam, bits and pieces are probably part of it. so, makes sense but still a shocker. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s the cost of shipping it that’s the issue.

The box itself and packing inside is probably <$50…

3 Likes

Asked FedEx what the deal on this was and they go by a “dimensional weight” vs actual weight after a package gets so large. Not sure what the specific reasoning behind it is, considering you can ship heavy stuff in smaller boxes like you can ship light stuff in large boxes (like the Glowforge box). Could have to do with the amount of space it takes and its placement when shipping, I don’t know :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

Yep. Trucks (tractor trailers) and airplane cargo pods typically can handle more weight than the package volume that fits will take up. So space is actually more valuable than weight. Of course most people are conditioned to thinking heavier should be cheaper. So the shipping companies try to balance the logistics with what people will stomach. Hence dimensional weight kicks in for larger volume packages which most folks won’t ship & won’t notice. Commercial shippers are used to the concept.

6 Likes

Which is why I can get 1/2 pallet from Texas to NJ for 800$ or 12 pallets for 1000$(or if real good shopping - once for 600$).

2 Likes

I seem to recall hearing that part of engineering design criteria was dictated by the maximum size of a box before the cost of shipping got ridiculous. and there is also all the orange bits. The box I sent back had some repairs due to damage on arrival.

1 Like

Just great. I order a new shipping box, so that I can package up my system.

I don’t realize that the shipping box doesn’t include the $9.00 worth of orange bits that are required to ACTUALLY USE THE #&(&!^#)(*#)(&**& BOX.

I feel like an idiot…but JFC, if you don’t have a box, you probably don’t have the orange bits…and, of course, they do note in the description that these are not included…

Grumble.

And, of course, there is no obvious way to expedite shipping…so now I’m waiting AGAIN.

I’m a little annoyed at myself, but I am royally annoyed at Glowforge right now.

If your original box was just damaged, what happened to your orange bits?

During a warm day in the summer, I left my doors open. A large rat apparently saw this as his big chance, and made his way into my house, finding his way to my basement. I don’t go down there too often and only discovered the guy months later, after he’d created a lot of “aftermath”, including moving into the glowforge box, making a home of epic toxic proportions. Needless to say, upon discovering this, I took it outside and opened it to see what i could salvage. Suffice it to say that I nearly had to rent a trailer to move that box to the dump it was so bad…

so, no, I didn’t reach in for the orange bits. :confused:

So your anger needs to be directed to the rat that does not care. You read that the orange bits were not included but did not order them anyway? :roll_eyes:

I ordered the box, assuming that the bits were in there.

I went back to look at the item that I’d ordered, only to find that they actually state in the description text that they are not included. Since I assumed that when you order a shipping box, you’d get everything you needed, I didn’t bother reading the fine print.

1 Like

Other folk would have the orange bits in a jar or something, even rat infested the orange bits could be recovered. Unfortunately the trend of making folk keep the boxes for what they buy can quickly take up the room for what they buy, :grimacing:

Might have made my own orange bits out of a rubber glove, tie wraps and appropriate knurled knob screws. Would even paint them orange. Of course there is always the possibility that any damage in transit would be blamed on my resourcefulness but I doubt the stock orange bits would be any different.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.