Anyone try the Columbia Forest Products 1/4" ply from Home Depot?

Haven’t tried them yet. But Rugby ABP carries the same stuff and they’ve been providing stuff for lasers for years as the architectural market does use a fair amount for models so I’d expect they’re fine. If you have a Rugby nearby you could probably check it out in person vs having to order it from HD sight unseen.

2 Likes

I have used a lot of their “Revolution” plywood that is both least expensive and decent quality. The top and bottom surface of the Revolution is extraordinarily thin but that is as bad a thing I could say about it.

2 Likes

Wait rugby carries that stuff? You know what they call it? I’m miike three miles from one, that’s where I get by B/B grade Baltic birch ply (not B/BB)

I have tried the columbia stuff from Home Depot, using it now. Beautifully finished, good flat wood. The only issues I’ve run into is you can’t use the flashlight test, as it’s too thick. At least I haven’t had any luck with it. And I’ve run across several hidden hollow spots, and there’s quite a few knots, but I have been able to work around them. Overall, I wish I had ordered more. I’m almost out… :scream:

2 Likes

Ummm…Columbia FP hardwood plywood :grin:

Here’s their catalog page:

They have 1/8" too.

2 Likes

Dug a bit deeper and found that they do have 1/8.

3 Likes

The point to this is they are in pre-cut packs of 10 sheets, at a very reasonable price.

If you go to the GUG (glowforge user group) on FB, they actually will respond to questions in the group.

3 Likes

I suppose that wasn’t the biggest mental leap. I’m wicked smart you see.

4 Likes

As Shop mentioned, the group on Facebook actually has a ton of users of the stuff.

1 Like

I have used quite a lot of the 1/4 maple. I have found it all to be very consistent, good quality.

Seems the consensus is that it’s good stuff. Gonna have to pick me up some. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aw sad. I’m gonna be in Vegas in January but looks like Rugby’s Vegas store doesn’t carry it :disappointed:

Two locations in “Atlanta”, both about an hour away. Perhaps if I have reason to take a road trip… I’ll take snacks.

2 Likes

try a halogen shop light.

1 Like

That looks very (and intentionally) bendy, more so than BB. But it’s cool they have 1/8! I have a pack of 1/4 maple I haven’t tried yet, but it looks beautiful.

Yes! I just got a load of maple in and it burns really well. Their customer service is awesome too!

2 Likes

So just clarifying, is it finished similar to proof grade? Would you mind sharing close up pic?

Are you getting it from Home Depot?

I’ve been using non-finished hardwoods and ply about as long as I’ve had my machine, and not really sure what benefit there is to “finished” material. It looks great but so does good quality BB and hardwood from a reputable source.