Anyone try the Columbia Forest Products 1/4" ply from Home Depot?

So just clarifying, is it finished similar to proof grade? Would you mind sharing close up pic?

Are you getting it from Home Depot?

I’ve been using non-finished hardwoods and ply about as long as I’ve had my machine, and not really sure what benefit there is to “finished” material. It looks great but so does good quality BB and hardwood from a reputable source.

Yes through the website.

1 Like

@pearl

1 Like

I probably chose poor wording, by finished, i mean nicely sanded , great grain patterns. My “unfinished” BB is nicely finished, to me. Bear in mind, you will not be getting masked sheets. I’ve heard some complaints that they thought it would be masked, but this is basically them taking a 4x8 sheet and cutting it down to make it more attractive for glowforge and other laser engraver users.

2 Likes

Thanks. What I have purchased has needed a good bit of sanding and due to my current living situation, sanding isn’t that easy. I would love to buy a product that I know is already sanded very well and ready to take stain or paint.

2 Likes

Currently using it. So far, so good. Can’t wait for the 1/8 to come out in cut-to-size 10 packs. I have used the Maple and a few others and am loving the Maple. Wish I had purchased more.

3 Likes

I’ve used it and have ordered from HD, cuts nicely and very nice veneer that finishes very nicely with minimal work needed. I’ve used Hickory, Mahogany and Walnut and my experience has been the same with all 3. I will definitely be ordering some more. Here’s a picture showing all 3 with a coat or 2 of wipe on Poly. The one thing to note is that the veneer is on one side only. I bought 30 pieces in total and all of them were straight.

6 Likes

what’s the other side look like?

2 Likes

To be honest, the other side looks like BB plywood. Not bad at all, a couple of the pieces had some sanded knots in the back but they weren’t bad. Heres what the back of most of them look like so far. This is unfinished.

6 Likes

thanks. that’s not bad at all.

I love the look of this stuff. I wish they had 1/8" though. Apologies if it’s been asked and answered, do the proofgrade settings work pretty well?

I use PG settings and don’t recall having any issues. Really hoping they start offering it in 1/8” as well. I’m very happy with it so far

1 Like

Posted above, they were expecting to have 5/32" “in a couple of weeks”…

1 Like

The guestbook sign in the back is the PureBond maple. It’s quite nice and does cut great with the PG thick maple setting. Engraves very consistently. I’ve added it to my shelf of materials to incorporate into products since it’s so affordable. My -only- complaint is that it’s only clean veneer on one side, the back veneer can be knotty. Still fine for anything where only one side will be engraved.

It’s only $4/sheet at ~12x20" while PG thick maple is $20 and has an inconsistent core with voids :frowning:

3 Likes

Thanks @ElsieH. I thought the HD Columbia Forest wood WAS 1/8th. Guess I will keep an eye out for them to add it. I prefer 1/8th for most of my projects. It looks very nice otherwise and what I am looking for.

1 Like

Not sure if I may have missed these when I last ordered, but it looks like Cherry and Red Oak have been added in 1/4"…this link should show you all the options available on HD’s website

4 Likes

Originally I heard this was ship to store. I looked today and it is free shipping to home for orders over $49. Something to keep in mind @eflyguy if you are interested and want to save driving.

2 Likes

I have three Home Depots within 10 minutes of me. Still, have had several items shipped to me…

'Murica!

1 Like