Anyone use this on food?

Here is my first cut on wood. I really want to use the glowforge in cake decorating but I don’t want to start a fire. I have a lot learn. Any experience using chocolate or anything edible please share.

19 Likes

What a lovely logo! :grinning:

1 Like

Thank you

There’s been a few topics on lasering food. Here’s one:

Just do a search on ‘food’.

2 Likes

Great thank you. Contamination was my concern

I see you are a regular? What is the simplest program/app I can use for design. I am clueless

It really depends on what you want to spend. Illustrator is the one that I use, because I’m familiar with it, but Inkscape is free and does all of the same things.

They’re all about the same level of difficulty to learn at first, (damned hard), but we have a lot of Beginner Level tutorials that will help you to get started quickly:

First step is always to read all of the great information here, provided by Glowforge:

https://glowforge.com/support

Then if you want to get going with design and understand how to use the interface in the least amount of time possible, there are a series of short tutorials that i would take in this order:

Then if you want to get started designing your own stuff quickly, the Matrix has a lot of tutorials and video links showing the best of the tips and tricks:

For using the Glowforge:

For Using Photoshop, GIMP and Paintshop:

For using Illustrator, Inkscape, CorelDRAW and Affinity Designer:

These are good ones to start with for vector design - 2D instead of 3D.

For using Fusion 360, OnShape, Openscad, Rhino, etc. for 3D design.

You’ve got a lot of choices. Just pick one vector program and try to learn it - it doesn’t take long once you jump in. I’d probably start with Inkscape if cost is an issue, and just be sure to always specify which program you are using when you ask questions on the forum. It helps folks to give you the correct answers for what to do next.

8 Likes

You are amazing. THANK YOU

2 Likes

Well, that looks amazing!

1 Like

Your wood engraving is marvelous!

For your cakes, one easy way to use the Glowforge is to make stencils for dusting a contrasting color (or maybe airbrushing?) on top of your cake.

2 Likes

thank you

Thank you, great suggestion. I am looking into all options

I have successfully used the GF to make logos in Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and did an “engrave” of our local courthouse on a Hershey bar successfully. People ate the PB cups and didn’t notice anything “burned” or off with the flavor…same with the Hershey bar. I’m not offering this though as a regular item to purchase from me. I only do it for close friends who know my machine is NOT food-specific.

2 Likes

What you might find is that making stencils or deep engraves in food safe plastics, can bring you nicer results. There was a beautiful design on a pie when I first came into this forum, but my reaction was that cinnamon sugar sprinkled on a stencil would have a similar and tastier result. there was also the suggestion that a deep engrave in Corian plastic in the negative of a design would make cookies or toaster coasters with the design in positive, or many similar products that could be used over and over.

1 Like

I’m thinking stencils for decorating the tops of cakes. You can cut dough into some fancy shapes, but the taste will suffer so only for display. Dan has said it took them about a week of experimenting to get the “chocolate” part of the original video and then they didn’t even use real chocolate. I’m thinking you could use the glowforge to assist in making silicone molds, but not for much else. Any safety/contamination concerns need to be discussed in Beyond the Manual. You could always open a thread there.

What settings did you use to engrave the Reese’s and Hershey’s bars?

Good to know thank you

Thank you

Out of town til next week. Will look up my settings when I get home and post them :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Would love to see pictures with the settings too!! :slight_smile: