Apologies from Maker Faire

The show went on pretty well minus the hiccups! great to see you guys in person. wish you had more booth space as you guys were pretty popular today!.

3 Likes

if it runs at 1600 watts peak for an extended period of time… and that is done frequently…on say a 15 amp breaker ,the possibility of repeatedly causing a breaker to run hot will eventually result in breaker to faultier and fail …perhaps the GF and the filter might be equipped with separate power in ports so the load may be allowed to be routed to two separate breakers??

Dedicated 20A outlet would be the best. Generally a good idea what’s on a given breaker.luckily the room I’m planning to put the gf in will have 3+ 20A circuits (ok, 2 of those likely to feed an outlet or in another room).
Lighting is usually on its own circuit these days (so you are not in the dark if you trip an outlet).
Don’t put your latest powerhog of a desktop, laser printer and gf on the same circuit…and vacuum at the same time.

3 Likes

Likely just an oversight by someone cleaning up over night, on the other hand heard horror stories back in the day when my dad used to go to one of the big electronics/automation fairs in germany. Lots of stuff getting stolen overnight from competitors if left out.

1 Like

I have the same problem in my kitchen, we can’t use the toaster oven and the microwave at the same time.

1 Like

A few notes:

• You should be just fine with a dedicated 15A circuit.
  • The hair dryer/space heater test is a good one; that’s worse than a Glowforge because it’s continuous (when printing the laser doesn’t usually stay on 100% power for a long time).
  • The printer & air filter have separate cords so you can put them on separate outlets.
  • You can get a UPS if you’re worried about ‘brownouts’.

Again, the problem appeared to come from two glowforges and two air filters on one power strip - not just one outlet, the same strip!

15 Likes

Awesome,

Thanks for clearing that up.

2 Likes

Is the air filter completely autonomous or is there a control line connection between it and the Glowforge?

2 Likes

You’ll need a massive UPS to do this. Even the huge APC 1500 has a peak limit of 865 watts. If you’re willing to lay out $700 or so, the CyberPower 2200 will probably work.

1 Like

Glad to hear it sounds like I won’t be the only one running the glowforge out of a bedroom! :joy: Of course the bedroom is question is literally, well, my bedroom- but hey, quick access for when midnight inspiration strikes!

I have an empty outlet in the corner of my room that will be dedicated purely to the glowforge (no air filter) so I think I should be alright. Other than that I really only have a few lamps and chargers plugged into power strips on other outlets.

3 Likes

That’s the ticket!:smile:

No kidding…I get some of my best ideas at midnight too…and then promptly forget them by the time morning rolls around, which is muy muy exasperating! :worried:

3 Likes

Exactly!! I’ve taken to keeping a little notebook on my bedstand, but then sometimes when I look through it the next morning after coffee I’m kind of like ‘um, I have no idea what this is 3 am chicken scratch is supposed to mean’ :laughing:

9 Likes

YES! :smile:

3 Likes

My usual thought the next morning is “That was the dumbest idea I’ve ever had!. That will definitely not work.” It’s the 2% of the time I read it that I think “Yes that is an awesome idea!” that makes it worth writing them down.

5 Likes

Oh yes, usually deciphering the scrawl isn’t even worth it! Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, maybe having easy access to a laser at 3 am isn’t the best idea…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I had good company for my journey through the line!

3 Likes

Or a ups for each device it tends that the financially obtainable ups run around 700watts

5 Likes

My office at work has three separate 20A circuits. So I should be good there. :slight_smile:

At home my wiring is a mess. Done by a friend of my grandparents in the ’50s, it’s not only not up to code now, it wouldn’t have been up to code at the time. And as I’ve discovered the hard way whenever I have to venture out to the circuit breaker box, outlets and fixtures are haphazardly connected to different circuits, so one outlet in the living room might be on the same circuit as the laundry room when all the rest are sharing a circuit with the outlets in a bedroom on the other side of the house. Not to mention that nothing anywhere is grounded outside of the kitchen and one bathroom which were remodeled a few years ago.

I think I’ll be keeping my GF at work until I move out of my grandparents’ house. (Something I was thinking about doing anyway, given my lack of space there.)

4 Likes

It is controlled by the same cloud service as the Glowforge via a local connection to the machine - that is, it gets it’s orders from the cloud relayed via the Glowforge.

Getting the Glowforge on a UPS gets you 90% of the value - you’d have to have much worse powerline problems to bother the air filter. And you could use two UPSs if you’re so inclined, since they have separate power plugs.

9 Likes

So the basic design of both machines includes a switched power connection for the optional filter?
That would be ideal for me, since I didn’t order the filter, but need to have a booster fan and could connect the booster there for automatic operation.

Thanks for your time!:thumbsup:

2 Likes