App keeps crashing while I try to modify the coaster design... what other programs are recommended for making a design?

Thank you for letting us know – we’ll investigate and follow up.

Because it should assume you want the new resized thing and if you don’t then tough on you, you’ll just have to reupload and wait for the re-render because that’s a so much better user experience. There can be no other way.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for doing a step by step investigation of the situation with illustrations of the GFUI. I hadn’t taken the time to try and replicate the error production to decipher what is the actual use case at hand and this helps me figure out what @cmkawasaki is referring to.

Wow. Every other app in every OS uses copy/paste to duplicate exactly what you selected, not an old version of it. So people’s expectations are that is what GFUI should do.

If you modified a thing, and you want another instance that’s is unmodified, GFUI should do what every other app everywhere does - re-import a new copy of the thing in its original state. Or if the app supports undo/redo, you can undo back to the unmodified version, copy it, redo to put your original thing back where you want it, then paste.

Redefining copy in GFUI to do what no other app does will just confuse everyone.

5 Likes

The thing is that every other app doesn’t have an import/render step in the middle before you can use it. A step that can take up to 5 minutes (according to the GF message). And since there are no ordinal measurements you can apply, the only object with a known fixed size is the one you initially imported.

I’m not saying that’s how they should have done it and maybe it’s an error but it is plausible that there was some thought behind it.

On the other hand we can all go on thinking that any deviation from the way other people do things is just wrong. After all it’s not like they set out to do things differently than all the other laser manufacturers.

I wouldn’t mind if they had 2 options - Ctrl+V is a paste of the thing you copied and Shift+Ctrl+V gave you a copy of the original sized object.

3 Likes

Sure, lots of apps have some version of ‘revert to the original version I imported’ - they just don’t call it ‘copy’. The capability is certainly useful - my only objection is to changing the behavior of a command everyone already knows, confusing them.

2 Likes

This is the behavior I’d like to see- because I can envision a scenario where I’d want a copy of an object at the original size (and don’t want to wait for the processing from an additional import), but most often I’d want (and expect using Ctrl-C) to get a copy that’s been resized.

1 Like

yes, yes it should assume that I want the EXACT item I pressed copy on. That is what copy means.

moral of the story though, as with all these things. If you want to modify something or design something and make it more than once exactly the same; use a design program, not the glowforge print driver.

4 Likes

The problem is if it pastes the original there is no way to make it exactly the same size as the one you copied because a) the GFUI doesn’t show the size numerically and b) you can’t type in the size.

Also I think it is far more likely you want all the instances the same size than you would want them all different size. As for it taking 5 minutes to import and render 2D artwork in 2017, well I have no idea how it could be that slow.

2 Likes

Last night I had uploaded a PDF containing an embedded raster image and a vector cut line. I had resized it to fit on some scrap, and there was room in the scrap for another copy, so I tried to copy and paste within the GFUI. What I would have expected was an exact copy of the resized file with the separate steps still aligned to each other. What I got was a copy that was back at the original size, but the raster image was no longer aligned to the vector cut line.
I am certain that I have copy/pasted multi-step elements in the past and they were faithful to my expectations.

That’s the one I saw.

Looks like vectors paste at their current size but bitmaps revert to their original size, so definitely a bug.

Thank you @cmkawasaki for bringing this to our attention. I’ve passed it on to the right team to investigate. Since you’re now printing (thanks to everyone for the assists!), I’m going to close this topic. Please post again if there’s something else we can help with.

1 Like