Art project for the non-artistic- paint by number

Woke up this morning wanting to paint, but I’m a horrible artist. Instead of frustrating myself with trying to draw something, I made my own paint by numbers on the glowforge. So easy!!! And those cheap canvas panels score like a dream!!! Now I just have to actually paint them. I’ll let you know how it goes! :grin:

47 Likes

Hey that’s a great idea! Anxious to see the final product!

4 Likes

Great Idea! I was just thinking of this yesterday. Glad someone else was thinking it too! Can’t wait to see them painted!

4 Likes

Great idea. I think prepping the image to number each color must have been a lot of work?

1 Like

Fun idea!

1 Like

What settings did you use? This is great.

Terrific! Don’t let anything stand in the way! Nice job!

1 Like

To score the canvas I used 500/20

It wasn’t too bad, but the pictures I chose only had 4 colors. I’m sure if you had to add lots of paint colors, it would take longer. I did a lot of copying and pasting of the numbers in my designing program. Although, there are several PDFs of paint by numbers already available on the web that you could download and then cut. I just had a specific thing in my head (as usual, I can’t do anything the easy way!).

2 Likes

What material did you use for the canvas? Can you describe it’s size and where you bought it. Thanks

I used canvas boards. I think I got them from Amazon, but dollar tree had them too. These were 8x8.

1 Like

Finding your way to “that thing in your head” can open a lot of possibilities. You’ve inspired me, thank you.

2 Likes

If you have ‘em, try watercolors on the painted canvas! Creates a totally different effect, and you can blend colors together much easier. Watercolors do act differently on a painted surface then they do on paper, but it is really fun and fairly easy to get a lovely piece of art to hang! Id’ skip the numbers and just play with filling the shapes you have. Nice thing about watercolor on a painted surface is that you can (mostly) wipe it off and start again if you don’t like. And when you do like it, spray finish it with Kamar varnish to keep it nice and bright for years!

2 Likes

What settings did you use on the glowforge to print on these? Thanks I am new at this!

The settings are in the thread above - April 12. 500/20

1 Like