Art project - Rose Window light box

I have finally completed my first art piece on my Glowforge: Rose Window light box - Strasbourg Cathedral version.

I have always been fascinated with the rose windows and stained glass in cathedrals. This is the first in a series of art pieces based upon the architecture of these windows.

Outer box and top layer are PG cherry, with PG maple, PG walnut, and PG basswood layers and clear acrylic with LED lighting. The box is 10.5" square, 1.5" deep. The smallest bits - hard to see but they are in the walnut layer - are .003" thickness. I cut a few tests to make sure it would actually hold up at that size. I’m really happy with how this came out. I have several more rose windows designed and waiting for layering so I can cut them. Now that I’ve gotten this one done, I can’t wait to do more.

55 Likes

Gorgeous! (Looks like the one from Notre Dame that Dan did in one of the Live Chat vids once.) :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That’s beautiful. Better be careful though or @rbtdanforth will steal that design for his avatar!:wink:

Thanks for posting!

8 Likes

So beautiful project! I reminds me of an incredible “stained glass” someone made a long while ago out of pastel colored acrylic, but damn if I can remember who. (Was it you @marmak3261 ?) I’ll see if I can go find it becasue I bet you’d appreciate it.

4 Likes

Please! I have more than I can ever use already! That is why I am showing them off as avatars.
here is just two as box tops…

8 Likes

Beautiful piece

3 Likes

Robert, your avatars keep morphing so fast I keep clicking on them to see if someone new has joined the forum…every single day! (Pick one and stick with it…I’m getting finger cramp!) :rofl:

5 Likes

We have missed you these past 6 months, but this was worth the wait. Lovely work. Thanks for sharing.

4 Likes

Breath taking work - I bet it looks even more fabulous with the light shining through.

3 Likes

Amazing! I particularly like the two-color look of the one at upper right – did you capture it at just the right moment while the LEDs were changing color, or do you have a special LED arrangement in there?

5 Likes

My many Avatars are like snowflakes no two the same but all are easily recognizable as snowflakes. How could anybody pick just one? :grin:

2 Likes

BTW I really love the Rose windows. They would be easily distinguishable from my stuff and you could randomly switch them out as Avatars rather than have the letter "A"that is the same as everyone else whose name starts with “A”.

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m really happy with how it came out. When the LEDs are white, you can see the print of the stained glass that I have mounted to the back wall.

6 Likes

Thanks! That’s a great idea. We can play avatar roulette. :smiley:

4 Likes

Very cool Avatar

3 Likes

Ohhhhh, amazing!

4 Likes

Stunning! Love that you have the smaller ones in the corners. Beautiful!

4 Likes

Too beautiful for words! I’ll be pouring over these for a while…

2 Likes

Seconded! I’m curious too.

2 Likes