Art project using different woods and dyes

Here’s another wall art display piece I did for a contest. Of course, I waiting until the last minute to enter so I whooped this one out in 3 hours and let the finish set overnight.

I wanted to experiment with some wood dyes I got. So I used a turquoise dye with a black dye on the base piece which is red oak. The top piece is a flamed maple and I did a custom fade going from black to orange to yellow in order to simulate somewhat of a sunset. I will have more pics to post once I get the project back. Here are a couple in different angles of lighting to show a bit of the chatoyance in the flamed maple.

32 Likes

Really cool design, i wonder if you could apply the wood stains in a way that it gave more a 3d effect like shadows. it already looks like it is popping out at you

5 Likes

Wait…that’s one piece of wood?

2 Likes

hard for me to explain but something kinda like this. Excuse my poor blender skills i litterally just downloaded it to show this pic lol.

Well I had more ambitious plans for it but I ran out of time. The top piece is attached with a special adhesive that will allow me to remove it safely with heat. I already plan on doing a more 3D style but not with dye. I have wood dowels I was going to place under each piece at different heights to offset it from the backing piece so it’s actually 3D.

3 Likes

The back (blue-ish dyed piece) is separate. The top piece is a single flat piece adhered to the backing wood.

1 Like

Beautiful technique!

1 Like

That’s very impressive! I like how the wood dyes came out, and I think your design is very cool!

1 Like

Nice work of art.

1 Like

Very interesting, and love the wood.

1 Like

Gorgeous!

1 Like