Artificial aging stain

As I mentioned in my post about barn signs using old wood I ran out of the really decrepit grayed old wood which gave it an authentic look, I found a stain that purports to artificially age wood rapidly. I promised to test it, so here are my results:

The stain (when you open the can it looks like solid black but the liquid is an incredibly dilute gray in reality (almost clear). No pigment to stir (I did try)

Bottom one is Regular pine sanded with 220grit per the instructions (left overnight), which looks kinda dingy basically. Not blown away.

There was a scrap section of red-oak (Home Depot) 1x3 so tried it. Now that produced a dramatic effect!

For the signs the red oak is fine, although real weathered cedar still conveys a different feel this is a pretty good substitute.

17 Likes

Try soaking in bleach? I have occasionally achieved that just trying to remove scorch marks. Left in sun to dry enhances the effect :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I rub coffee grounds into wood with some linseed oil, to age something,
wet tea bags age paper.

Put some steel wool into a container and pour distilled white vinegar over it. Let it sit for three to five days and then strain and apply to wood, red oak in this case. Initially, it makes the wood very dark. I sand it down until I get the finish I’m looking for. It’s a nice way to enhance the grain.

6 Likes

Thanks for showing us the results.

1 Like

This is called vinegaroon and you should definitely try it on veg tanned leather.

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Vinegaroon

6 Likes

That hadn’t occurred to me, but I have plenty of veg-tanned leather laying around. Sounds like a project. :grinning:

1 Like

I guess I’m a bug nerd because this is what I think of when I hear the name Vinegaroon.

Very much like a scorpion (commonly called a whip scorpion). It has an acidic spray that it can shoot from the tail that smells like vinegar.

8 Likes

That’s impressive; I hope I don’t ever find one in my house.

1 Like

I ‘liked’ this post with hesitation…because I really don’t like this. :grimacing: :grinning:

4 Likes

If you’re using red oak, try using steel wool solution. Google it. Works pretty good. The metal in the solution reacts with the wood.

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.