Artsy-fartsy question

I may be fartsy, but I am by no means artsy. I am a bit mathy though. Here is what I am trying to do. I need to take a 2d image, like a flat picture of a compass, that I want perfectly symmetrical when viewed straight on. Then, I want to take that and “lay it down” a bit across the Z axis. Can this be done easily in Illustrator? Or in any easy to use/learn program out there? I can’t seem to get it to look right drawing it in that orientation to begin with.
Basically, the effect I am trying to get looks a bit like this.

Mainly just the black part. Is there any way to take a stock image, like an actual handheld compass or compass rose and then tilt it to an oblique angle like this?
Sometimes, being artistically challenged is a bummer.
Thanks in advance for any helpful comments.

4 Likes

Look for “perspective” or “warp” or “distort” in the tool menus. I don’t know what it’s called in AI, but it should be easy to do.

9 Likes

This may help. It looks nicer than the one in PaintNet too :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

AKA “envelope distort” or some variant thereof.

7 Likes

Will this help:
Compass Rose skewed

7 Likes

That is cool. I might be able to use that. I am also going to play with the things above too. Thanks G2N, Diedre and Evans. I’ll post if I figure it out. :wink:

3 Likes

Perspective Tool is the “correct” way to this, but you need to learn to use the perspective grids and tools. Worth it, but takes a little time.
using “Effects > Distort & Transform > Free Distort” is the most immediate way to do it, but it is totally manual and will give you no help at all. (it is a powerful tool that I wish they would enhance a bit to make it more usable.)
Object > Envelope Distort > Make with Mesh would also get you there eventually. Lots of different paths to similar destinations.

6 Likes

Just like the others say, in my art program, I can just drag a corner or edge and it does it, but in the menu I’ve got “distort, skew, perspective.”

6 Likes

Very good for all sorts of distortion, but perspective is great for simple stuff.
lngsqr-2bcrv-2

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.