Attach your own Ventilation (Settings)

So I just created some ventilation with an inline fan, previously I was using the glowforge filter. If I am using my own personal ventilation do I now uncheck that I am using the glowforge filter in the app settings?

My vent is a standard piping with inline fan to suck fumes out.

1 Like

From what I’ve read, if you want to use only the in-line fan you keep the filter option turned on so that both fans are not running at the same time. You also want to be sure that the in-line fan is around 200cfm.

2 Likes

Wait both fans? You contridicted yourself. I have a inline fan running outside my window as to suck air out. Should I turn off the glowforge fan option?

No, he didn’t (@ryand, if I may). He means that you do not need both fans running at the same time. You should always* have at least one fan running, but you shouldn’t need both. So, if you’re using your external fan, set the UI to use the filter, which will turn off the internal fan. If you’re not running your external fan, then turn the internal fan back on.

There’s also nothing to prevent you from removing the existing internal fan entirely if you’re going to use your external all the time. This will improve your external fan performance, as there will no longer be the old fan obstructing your airflow.

* There are very narrow limited exceptions, where you could argue that a fan isn’t needed (engraving aluminum, some other no-fume actions), but they’re so infrequent that it’s safer to simply say that you should always have one fan running. This is especially true with pro models, where the active cooling system is reliant on the airflow.

2 Likes

Moving this to Beyond the Manual…

Ohhhh interesting, I forgot the filter option turns off the internal fan.

1 Like

Thank you @evansd2 you knew what I meant and made it more clear. Things always make more sense in my head than when I say them :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Sadly my 2 day old machine won’t allow the internal fan to shut off. GF says it is not allowed!

If the toggle switch will not work to turn off the fan and you have an inline fan or the filter, contact Glowforge support and they can help with your settings.

1 Like

Why can the two fans run at the same time ( the internal and the external)? will that damage the GF?

If they are running at the same amount of air pressure then there isn’t much wrong with both running at the same time. It is decently more quiet with only a booster fan running though. Many of us run a booster fan with the same or much higher CFM(cubic feet per minute) just so we can turn the internal fan off just so it’s quieter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.