Attn Leather Work Yodas

I did that for a shoulder bag I made. Just cut two strips with an angle on each end, then sewed them together on those angles. Not the neatest look, but it worked.

If you like the look, you can make a strap as long as you like with interlocking figure 8 shapes.

8 Likes

This is absolutely beautiful. For someone who packs a lot in my purse, I’m not sure you can make wooden ones strong enough. i like the leather option!

3 Likes

Thank you! I am going to try this.

2 Likes

I had to seriously downsize what I put in it! My previous purse was so heavy that I was motivated to unload into something smaller.

These links have a little jagged line cut through them. I used the links posted on the community not the ones from the pattern. I’ll find the link and add it here.

Here is the file I used, thanks to @rbtdanforth.

2 Likes

That purse is amazing and I like @ekla 's suggestion for straps. Can’t say whether it’s worth your time or not, but I think it would look extra snazzy.

5 Likes

I am going to try @ekla’s idea. The figure 8 chain will still give the look of a chain but be way more comfortable on my shoulder. Now off to get some veg tanned leather!

3 Likes

@ekla would this leather work for the figure 8 chain? I’m wondering how thick it needs to be. I don’t want to get an entire hide until I figure out if I like it.

https://tandyleather.com/collections/leather/products/superior-oak-craft-cuts?variant=34098384765059

That should work quite nicely. 3-4oz is just right, not too thick but still strong :slight_smile: .

2 Likes

If you are needing leather lacing that could even be woven you will find these handy…

I even used mine on a soda bottle to make a very strong tie binder :grin:

1 Like

Thanks

Yeah, what they said. If you actually wanted to stick with the wooden chain there are a few threads on here where folks talk about soaking the wood in CA glue or other things which makes it incredibly strong.

That being said, for cutting long leather straps, this may come in handy!

3 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Drum roll please…here is the finished leather chain crossbody strap, thanks to all of your advice.

Now be gentle with me. It was my first attempt with leather, other than the disaster of earrings I made with what came with my :glowforge:. I learned a lot on this little adventure. I should have coated the back side of the leather before I cut it, but I did not realize that until I was dealing with all the fuzzies around the cut edges. Next time!

It was also an adventure in Chicago screws! On the beginning of the strap, I had folded the 8 over the lobster clasp to start, but I realized I cannot do that on the other end. I cut a small strip of leather and attached it with Chicago screws. I did it on the other end, even though it did not need it, so it would look the same.

Verdict: Success! The strap is comfortable and strong. I think it is every bit as sexy as the wooden chain. I have repurposed it as a necklace, soon to be on my Etsy shop.

And yes, I draped a curtain over my :glowforge: very briefly while it was running to snap the pics. Yes, I know I need to leave the top free to allow air to be sucked in. All is well.

So, what do y’all think? Many thanks to all who contributed to this discussion!
@deirdrebeth @rbtdanforth @ekla @ChristyM @rvogt @Xabbess @JimmyWayneWestie @Deleted @awebs76 and I hope I did not leave anyone out!

26 Likes

I still think its a SEXY BEAST!!!

jonathan

3 Likes

Wow! This is way nicer than the wooden chain! Love it!

3 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

Thank you!

This makes me so HAPPY!!! It looks BEYOND INCREDIBLE!!!

2 Likes