Auto Glockenspiel

My first post! Just wanted to share a project I’ve been working on over the last few months. This year I got a little carried away making Christmas presents for my kids and this one is my favorite. It’s a programable auto glockenspiel.

Here, I’m testing peg design and hammers. you can also see more of the inlay work on the sides as well as the drawer in the back that holds all the pegs… not to mention my incredibly messy desk!

156 Likes

I quit. You win all the things. :smiley:

37 Likes

Wish I could give this more than 1 like! That’s AWESOME!

8 Likes

That is unbelievable. So cool. :grin:

5 Likes

Your first post and it’s a doozy! Incredible project.

5 Likes

Holy guacamole Batman! :open_mouth:

8 Likes

Man, that’s just discouraging. Your first post. Killing me.

How’d you do the round drum? This is outstanding work.

11 Likes

Welcome to the community, and amazing project!

5 Likes

Wonderful! I’ve got some old wind chimes I’m going to convert into a doorbell and was pondering designs, this would be a great direction to take.

6 Likes

Oh my lord…just when I think I’ve seen everything. This.is.amazing!

5 Likes

Well, that is pretty epic. Fantastic first post, and truly inspirational project.

7 Likes

Wow, that’s the coolest thing I have seen in a while! Great project, how long did it take you to design/cut/build it?

6 Likes

The only reason I’m not completely jealous of you making this, is because I know you used more than just your Glowforge to make it, and since I only have a Glowforge, I couldn’t begin to make it. Then again, I am jealous that I don’t have the tools to do it, or the skillset…Really cool, thanks for sharing!

8 Likes

That is amazing! Upping the bar just a tad! I will go back to making boxes! LOL

9 Likes

I can’t believe the the level of polish on the first time out! I love the project.

5 Likes

:flushed:

:flushed: :flushed: :flushed: :flushed: :flushed:

Wow.

That’s a heck of a first post! Amazing project! Nice!!!

6 Likes

I designed a cut pattern that allowed for bending the plywood. It was inspired by the designs here https://www.core77.com/posts/36481/Adventures-in-Laser-Kerf-Bending

There’s a bendable outer shell and an inner structural skeleton and then two end caps that sandwich it all together. The skeleton has about 5 circular ribs with 8 interlocking crossbars to hold the drum shape. The end caps consist of an outer ring and an inner ring glued onto the outer disc that make a circular channel for the shell.

15 Likes

The only pieces that weren’t made on the glowforge are the dowels used for the drum and crank axles and the little xylophone on the front. I got that piece on amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MVWZK17/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

14 Likes

I probably spent about 200 hrs all together, designing, failing, cutting, failing again, redesigning and building :wink:

14 Likes

What a labor of love! Thanks for the inspiration!

3 Likes