Aviation Art

It was pointed out on my last post that it had been several years since I had posted some of my work, so… This was a project that I did for the WWII Airborne Demonstration Team to sell in their PX. The images were taken while the team was preparing for the 75th D Day Anniversary . The first test was done on a scrap piece of draftboard. The final products were done on artist canvas.

41 Likes

On June 5th 2019 the team left Duxford England in a flight of 25 + C47 aircraft and parachuted into the Normandy countryside to commemorate the airborne invasion that preceded D-Day on the 6th. I collected sand from the beaches of the U.S. Sectors and brought it back to create a limited set of these display boxes. The sands sit on top of a piece of 1944 parachute fabric. The map is an engraved version of the original invasion map on maple, and the bottom of the display contains a 5 franc note, a 30 cal M1 cartridge (inert) and a set of WWII sterling jump wings.

31 Likes

Wow. This is amazing.

Really good job with everything in this display!

6 Likes

The laser etch really gives it a vintage look.

5 Likes

Airborne! Well done. I never jumped out of a C-47, but I have parachuted from other military aircraft. I’ve visited some of the D-Day sites, and supported D-Day activities celebrated in Holland.

I’m a map nut, and I love your display.

7 Likes

So cool! I rember watching the 82nd Airborne do a mass jump at combat height at fort huachuca, years ago. It was like watching multiple clown cars emptying at the circus.

5 Likes

Kelley Thanks. I have 100 jumps out of the 47 and have loved them all, but the Normandy drop will always be top of the list.

5 Likes

I never had an airborne assignment, but went to the school. 5 jumps, one out of a C-141 and four from a C-130. Best thing since adult recreational activity (nudge nudge win wink ya know what I mean?). The first jump is the most exciting and exhilarating. I’m sure you remember. But jumping out of the C-141, that jet wash hits you and you’re parallel to the plane’s bottom looking up, so cool yet quite disconcerting.

6 Likes

These are beautiful. What a great way to remember…

How did you prep your canvas?

4 Likes

it has a light layer of bright white only.

2 Likes

Thanks, that turned out beautiful!

Wow to all of this! Love the depth in your canvas engravings, the box is truly amazing and the attention to detail with the different sands is amazing.

3 Likes

Thanks. In the 4 picture frame the individual 8x10 images each had a 3d characteristic.

2 Likes

They really do, so impressive!

1 Like

Stunning. Speaking as a veteran of another war, wonderful work there. One of a kind. Great historical tribute to our brothers in arms.

4 Likes

Very nice job. What settings did you use on the artist canvas?

Loved your write-up … and the work is spectacular!!

1 Like

Glowforge requires us to confine discussion of manual settings in their forums to the Beyond the Manual category. The current preferred practice is to either move the entire thread to Beyond the Manual or, to start a new thread there and, link to it from this one.

Let us know if you want help moving the thread.

1 Like

Ah… So noted. I will fix it

1 Like