Baby icosahedron

A friend asked me to make him a d20 since he collects all shapes and sizes of dice.
He sent me a pic of one he found on Pinterest.

It was a bit of a challenge building it, but it turned out just fine. No glue, pressure fit. It is solid and rolls great!

I was fresh out of bananas so I used a real d20 for scale.
Cut out of maple ply from Johnson plastics

22 Likes

Bet that was fun to assemble! (Looks pretty small.) :smile:

1 Like

OK so I think all the pieces are the same shape? That is counterintiutive to me, and very cool. I guess its a side effect of making the sides have an even number of fingers.

This ought to work for any regular polyhedron I suspect, and maybe for all completely convex polyhedra even at higher complexity. Concave shapes would work but be hard to keep aligned maybe? Have you fooled with any other shapes?

2 Likes

Yes, all the sides are the same shape, an equilateral triangle. I haven’t played with it to create other shapes but it would probably work for those that have a triangular side. A d6 would he made up of squares, a d8 of diamonds etc.

A bit smaller than a golf ball. Any smaller and I didn’t think the teeth would hold up

1 Like

No, d8s are also equilateral. You could take 4 faces from the d20 and make a d4, take 8 more and make a d8, without designing a single extra thing.

Make regular pentagons, and you’ve got a d12.

Make “kites” and you’ve got your d10 [Technically, a “pentagonal trapezohedron”], change the numbers to be 10-00 and you have your percent die, and voila, a full 7-set of D&D dice.

… if you’re so inclined. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cool! Might be useful as a box as well.

1 Like

That’s cool. Looks tiny but solid.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.