Bad engrave

printed the snap and store box and the made on a glowforge engrave was the first procedure to be done. this doesn’t look quite right to me. no bumps, i was there the whole time. rest of the box cut fine. i have had something similar happen in the past with one of my own designs but when it happens with a glowforge design i had to say something.

3 Likes

made on a alpwforoę

Sounds right. What’s the problem?

8 Likes

Gees…that’s really bad. Really bad but at the same time, strangely funny.

1 Like

I’m so sorry your print didn’t come out as expected.

Can you please perform the following troubleshooting steps:

• Reboot your Glowforge.
  • We included an extra piece of Proofgrade Draftboard with your materials shipment for troubleshooting. Please print the Gift of Good Measure on Proofgrade Draftboard on the far right side of the bed, as close to the edge as possible.
  • Let us know how it goes by including a photo of the print in your reply.
1 Like

the keychain printed fine, no issues. this was as close to the right side as the layout would let me.

Make sure there’s nothing on the rails or belts, and nothing sticking up high enough to hit the air assist (the thing that sticks down behind the laser head) – it looks to me like something’s bumping the head and throwing off the calibration as it prints.

This happened to me before I knew you weren’t supposed to let your material extend outside the bounds of the honeycomb, and again when I stacked my magnets too high and they were hitting the air assist as it went past.

rails all look clear. nothing in/on the belts

1 Like

Thanks for running that test.

I extracted the logs for this print. You mentioned you had placed the print as close to the right side as the layout would let you, but it looks like there was a bit more than a half inch of additional space.

Can you send me a screen shot of what you’re seeing in the app with the design placement on the far right?

Or as an alternative, with your permission, I can re-position the Gift of Good Measure for you in your design, so you can simply open the file and re-test.

here it is placed as far right and down as possible. there have always been areas of the bed that i could not engrave on. cut? yes but since this has engraving i have to place it further to the left and up. is this NOT normal for others?

Nothing that is placed in the areas with the gray bars in them, can be cut/engraved/scored. The object must be moved up and over until the gray bars disappear. And, yes…this is normal for everyone.

1 Like

That’s what i thought. So where i placed the ruler before was right up against the no-go-zone, as far right as i could place it and have it cut.

The no cut zone is a bit further out than the no engrave zone. That is because the engraves need more room to slow down.

1 Like

I’m sorry for the confusion! Your printable area for engraving looks normal.

Since we’ve ruled out this issue through the test, it’s likely the Printer Head had moved out of place before the start of the print. This can happen if you bump the Printer Head when removing/replacing material or the Crumb Tray. Restarting your Glowforge will prompt it to recalibrate and should resolve the issue.

If you find you’re still seeing this issue and you are able to reproduce it after your Glowforge has just calibrated, please let me know.

I’m going to close this topic, but if you have any other questions, please feel free to open a new one.