Bag of Bones and a Color Question

Ha! That is so cool!

Go @marmak3261! :squee: :try_to_be_helpful_but_not_authoritative: :squeeee:

3 Likes

You can’t imagine how much I love this!!! I’ve had scrimshaw on my mind for awhile now–envying your stash! Your results are so, so cool.

For sure, Copic markers are something to try. Since they are alcohol based, they might be a bit neater than trying to paint with a brush. If you are looking for translucency, they would likely do better than acrylic. If you want opaque, try Testors model paints (I think they are enamels).

4 Likes

Hey! :grin:

6 Likes

Heheheheh…awesome. :try_to_be_helpful_but_not_authoritative:

5 Likes

now, now - I didn’t name names, kept it all very self-deprecating/self-referential/used my “I” statements :neutral_face:

11 Likes

Y’know what? They were gifted to me, so I’ve decided to share the wealth. I’ve listed a few lots of these on Levitada; you can find them here: Whoops, the levitada marketplace no longer exists here!

As the photos show, they’re nothing fancy - but they’re good little testers. All I ask is that the recipient(s) pay shipping, which I guesstimate to be <3 within the US.

@cynd11 just calling your attention to this in case you’d like some too. No worries if you don’t, but the offer is there for the first few people who’d like some of these weird little beads.

14 Likes

Those are stunning…really nice details!!

4 Likes

Why thank you! I’ve been meaning to join Levitada for the longest time, yours is the final push needed. Thanks for the generous sharing!

5 Likes

Dude. Didn’t even notice it. Probably because I need to remember it more than anyone! :try_to_be_helpful_but_not_authoritative:

5 Likes

wow, immortalized in an emoji, and yet still humble… you continue to raise the bar, sir!

5 Likes

Sensitive much? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Aaahhhhhcchhoooobluuuu. (Pardon the sneeze, it’s dusty in here.) :rofl:

Is it April 6th yet?

8 Likes

You get all the likes today!

6 Likes

oy. I’m never going to live that down.

6 Likes

Huh! You and me both! :rolling_eyes:

I’ve decided to just toss a handful of blue into the air at Halloween and go partying as a shiny Smurfette…leave a little blue outline on the couch…pat people on the back…go visit Jim and dance across his carpet a few times … :wink:

7 Likes

Look!!! I have better friends! :squeeee:

5 Likes

When we first built this house we had white (or ivoryish) carpet in the living room. Then came kids with glitter projects. Then came the 3/4" oak :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Here are a few more attempts. They still have a few quirks (and straight up issues) but they have potential. Once I get the process down a bit more, I’ll start integrating some of my own hand drawn artwork.

19 Likes

They look fantastic! You are really getting the settings dialed in. Would you mind sharing? I’d hate to waste all the pieces you sent me trying to get there, but I understand if you’d rather not.

2 Likes

I don’t mind sharing, but I’ll warn you that I’m still working it out. There is such great variance in each piece of bone that it seems like it needs to be adjusted on a case by case basis (or perhaps this is my inexperience shining through).

Generally, I’m going very low power (anywhere from 5-8) and lower speed as well (65-75). Still trying to get the LPI down, but have been liking it most around 225-270. Forgive me if that’s vague, this is still very experimental.

Image placement is a whole different challenge, since they’re so small. Even blowing it up to 200%, it’s hard to get the image on there just right.

So yeah - my pile of “oops” beads grew a bit last night. I’m open to suggestions if any of the more experienced laser folk have any ideas to offer.

4 Likes

Oh thank you! I know it can be only an estimate (especially with changes from the cloud going on), but it gives me a starting point. Can’t wait to try it!

1 Like