Baking in the time of covid-19

Huh, very interesting. But it calls for flour, which is a no-go in my house (I only use it for gingerbread these days). I wonder what happens if you use some other kind.

Ok, that brings up another question (hate to hijack the recipes thread, sorry!) What is the difference between active yeast and rapid rise or “instant” yeast? The bread machine recipes tend to call for instant yeast, and I don’t know why that would be, or if it’s just the gluten free recipes that need it, or what.

They don’t have those out in the sticks where we are. :wink: There’s a feed store pretty much on every corner though – those were harder to find in the big city!

1 Like

I was just reading how flour loses its gluten as it ages. I wonder how long it takes for it all to be gone?

1 Like
4 Likes

There are a few but in-practice, using a bread-maker or making pizza dough, you’d rarely notice. Instant is far more common in bulk for retail, and has no downside. Mine is three years past its use-by date, stored in an airtight container in the fridge it still produces the wonderfully fluffy french bread that I like.

The types of stores I mention sell online as well, for far less than Amazon.

2 Likes

I Googled “gluten-free starter” and found a lot of starter recipes using gluten-free flours. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Niiiice! Thank you! I know you are too nice to “lmgtfy” me, and I totally should have done that. But I suppose I would have if we hadn’t managed to find some instant at the store. :slight_smile:

(The only thing I really wish is that I could make the “good stuff” for us, but I can’t risk contaminating the bread maker with gluten. And there’s no flour to be found anywhere. Oh well!)

Not at all, I was curious. :slight_smile: Personally, I’ve found (mostly by accidentally eating non-gluten stuff) that I really LIKE gluten, but it’s always good to know these things!

1 Like

Trust me, I think people who do it on purpose with no medical need are kinda nuts. There are only a handful of things that are gluten free that are REALLY good. Like Brazi-bites, omg little puffs of heaven. That are also nowhere to be found right now. But it’s Brazilian cheese bread made from tapioca flour. They are soooo good. Most other gluten free stuff tastes like cardboard :slight_smile:

3 Likes

maybe you can adapt this to be gluten free. it’s a cheese bread recipe with no eggs. this is the loaf i’m baking right now. did the dough on the dough cycle in the bread machine, then turned it out and made a loaf and put it in a greased loaf pan for the second rise for an hour (almost done) and into the oven at 350 for 35-45 mins. i subbed in parmesan for the cheese powder (since i don’t have any). i’ve done that before and it works fine.

5 Likes

My cookbooks are still packed away, but I found a scrapbook among Mom’s collection that has some recipes her mother copied out by hand from “Bertha McClusky’s old cookbook.” I don’t know who that was, but since Grandma was born in like 1905, if it was old to her it was OLD.

Anyway, just by coincidence, one of the things she had copied out was how to make starter and yeast cakes. These recipes call for hops, which I don’t happen to have on hand, but if you do, here you go!

5 Likes

Oh, man, Grandpa’s apple torten recipe is making me drool. I wonder if the Jonagold apples I have on hand would be tart enough?

5 Likes

For @ElsieH:

This isn’t exactly “bread” (despite the name) but, it’s pretty good and, can fill the same role for, say breakfast. You should be able to do this in a warm oven, if you don’t have a dehydrator.

Dehydrator Sweet Bread

1/3 cup psyllium husk (ground)
2 tablespoons flax meal (ground)
1 cup pitted dates (soft)
1/2 cup pecans
2/3 cup raisins
1 medium orange (peeled)
1 large apple (peeled, cored, roughly chopped)
1 teaspoon orange zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon (or 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon + 1/4 teaspoon cloves)

1. Add all ingredients to food processor EXCEPT RAISINS, PSYLLIUM HUSK AND FLAXSEED MEAL. Process very well.

2. Add raisins. Pulse again until raisins are well distributed but raisins still look like raisins :slight_smile:

3. Transfer mixture to a bowl. Add psyllium husk and flaxseed meal. Mix well.

4. Form into two small loaves.

5. Dehydrate at ~115F for 6+ hours, until it reaches the desired texture.

2 Likes

Oh wow, thank you! As it turns out, I DO have a food dehydrator (for gingerbread, I know I’m crazy). And I have psyllium husk, need to check expiration date. I might have flaxseed too, all those gluten free things call for weird stuff like that. I’ll definitely check this out (but will have to go to store for raisins and pecans, ha ha, oh and dates)

There are always online options, like nuts.com and direct from the date growers for the missing items.

1 Like

Bread done and cooling off a little while the pasta cooks and tomato sauce and meatballs heat up.

One of my favorite things to do with this bread is grilled cheese. The cheese in the bread carmelizes a bit when you fry it up in a skillet.

image image

9 Likes

Mom’s recipe for carrot cake. I would use butter in place of margarine nowadays:

4 Likes

Try them with canna butter. You’ll laugh your butt off.

I really messed up. I am down to my last couple grams of yeast and I let my starter get moldy for sourdough. Arg. I’ll have to head to the farm and raid my emergency stash of both.

1 Like

rapid rise it different from instant. Rapid rise if you want to turbo a pizza dough or bread. Active generally needs to proof first in some liquid for easier incorporation. Instant mixes well without needing to hydrate first and is a lot easier to use with baker’s percentages. That’s what how I use them.

1 Like