Baking in the time of covid-19

That’s a better idea. If I called the delivery service asking for dates they would send the police…

2 Likes

Any favorite tips on GF bread in the bread machine? Just saw a friend complaining about her results. I find that bread in the bread machine isn’t all that amazing to begin with in terms of texture, so I suggested she try making it outside of the machine, but she wasn’t excited about that idea. I have a kitchen aid mixer with a dough hook and she does not, so that makes a difference in the amount of work.

1 Like

Have you done that bread in the bread machine as well? Curious about the difference in results. I have a bread machine and it’s fine for things like sandwich bread. Maybe I need to drag it out and test it.

1 Like

King Arthur has a guide for that (I can’t recall whether it is specific to bread machines or gluten free). Basically it says to add 1 additional ounce of flour, and 1 additional egg to your recipe. And I just used their recipe for GF bread here:

I used this one because they say it works with their measure for measure GF flour, and that’s the only kind I have. It comes out pretty well, I guess. I mean, my celiac likes it. I think it’s an ok approximation, it’s just very dense. I have been meaning to order their all-purpose GF flour so I can try the sandwich bread recipe, which I think would be better.

2 Likes

Here’s one guide on King Arthur’s website about bread machine baking:

That’s not the same one I was using, so the one I found must have been specific to gluten free bread.

4 Likes

To properly make a good yeast bread you need to knead the carp out of it many times with keeping it warm and leave it long enough and not too long etc, So I used the bread machine to do all the work but the last rise and cook I did not use the machine and got very nice results.

2 Likes

Here’s the blog on GF bread in the bread machine:

i did the dough part of the recipe in the bread machine, but pulled out the dough for the second rise and baking in the loaf pan after. i don’t really like the paddle hold in one end of the loaf when you do the whole thing in the bread machine. but other than that, it should be fine with a regular bake cycle inside the bread machine.

i pretty much do all of my breads that way. i’m lazy when it comes to the kneading stuff. i have a good dinner roll recipe and a french baguette recipe that i do the dough cycles and then cut the dough into portions to make rolls/baguettes. you can even do bread machine/form roll or baguette phase/second rise, then freeze. and pull out to defrost and bake. not quite as good as fresh. for rolls, i also bake them all, but ever so slightly undercooked. then freeze in packs of 2 to pull out to reheat for meals. so make a big sheet of 24 rolls and get 12 meals worth for the two of us over time.

2 Likes

I do autolyse and that sure helps cut down on needing time.

Totally agree. I have also done most of the work in the bread machine and then baked it in the oven. But I have some artisan bread cookbooks and eventually just shifted to using the kitchen aid. I might need to start some artisan bread. I’m a big fan of this cookbook: https://smile.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes-ebook/dp/B00F1R9D9Q

Takes some advance planning but the breads are lovely.

1 Like

I hope you already have your flour LOL. I just tried to order some and I can’t even find it online (stores ran out a week ago).

3 Likes

i have a kitchenaid. but honestly, it’s even easier in the bread machine with quick yeast. just dump everything in, liquid first and yeast last, and hit “start dough cycle.” can’t get much easier.

3 Likes

We tried buying yeast a week and a half ago and every store in our city was sold out. We have lots of flour so we’ve been making beer bread. It’s delicious.

3 Likes

Yeast is in stock on amazon already. It was always going to be a temporary shortage, people just don’t need that much yeast. Just like toilet paper, there is no increased demand, just a short term case of people getting the same idea.

It’s things that have a true sustained increased demand (PPE stuff) or a significantly reduced manufacturing capacity (unfortunately, possibly vegetables if no migrant workers are able to … migrate) that you should be concerned about.

So plant a garden and be cool. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I always have lots of flour as I love to bake and I have a kid with food allergies. But I did just order more from Target. :slight_smile:

Yes and no for me. The bread machine is less convenient to take out and I find that it doesn’t always blend everything well so I have to babysit it a bit. And this is the “good” bread machine. It’s just as easy to me to use the Kitchen Aid and proof it in the oven.

I have bisquick, flour, Masa, fryer coating,(more?) all are white and powdery, many in unmarked or poorly marked containers all basically flour with extra stuff or not in the pure flour canister for example, plus a lot of whole grain, so having it is just a start of the problem…

1 Like

Ooooooh! Yeah. Now I’ve got a sudden craving to bake bread. :roll_eyes:
No shortages here on bread except for the first day or two, so I haven’t been able to justify it.

But I might have to do it anyway. :smile:

2 Likes

I just learned about water cake.

1 Like

When supplies start getting really low, here is some inspiration.

1 Like

The lack of store bread is not justification for baking homemade bread. The existence of store bread is justification enoygh. Nothing like a fresh homemade loaf.

We bake more than we buy. I have 2 different sourdough starters percolating in the fridge (King Arthurs & the Santa Fe Trail starter) at all times. My daughter took some with her to college a couple of years ago and she bakes with it at least once a week too. Warms the parental heart cockles :grin:

My wife made a loaf of cranberry walnut whole wheat today :+1:

7 Likes