Balance Lamp

At the Pacific Crossing (truck crossing) border in Blaine there are a number of businesses that will let you receive parcels at them. The one I use is Mail Boxes International. While you can rent a box from them, you don’t have to. You can pay an annual fee of about $15 to register for parcel delivery, and then a per package delivery fee based on parcel weight (ranges from around $2-$5). Also, the address isn’t a PO Box, so places like UPS and such will deliver to them.

While I don’t use it nearly as much as I used to, I still find it incredibly useful, especially around Christmas. Even with the annual fee and delivery fees, I find I still save a significant amount of money in shipping to offset that cost. They’ve got great hours as well.

Another benefit of using them is it allowed me to setup that address with UPS MyChoice, so that if I choose to, I can have the delivery held at the UPS distribution centre in Bellingham for pickup, instead of pickup at MBI. (Which I’m considering based on some of the horror stories people have shared of their UPS deliveries. The less time it travels on the truck, the better IMO).

There might be something similar in Port Angeles, or I suppose if you found it made sense, you could just take the ferry to Tsawwassen and drive from there – also not very far.

3 Likes

Hey thanks for the info. I’ll look into that.

forhorsman Owner
November 28 |

At the Pacific Crossing (truck crossing) border in Blaine there are a number of businesses that will let you receive parcels at them. The one I use is Mail Boxes International. While you can rent a box from them, you don’t have to. You can pay an annual fee of about $15 to register for parcel delivery, and then a per package delivery fee based on parcel weight (ranges from around $2-$5). Also, the address isn’t a PO Box, so places like UPS and such will deliver to them.

While I don’t use it nearly as much as I used to, I still find it incredibly useful, especially around Christmas. Even with the annual fee and delivery fees, I find I still save a significant amount of money in shipping to offset that cost. They’ve got great hours as well.

Another benefit of using them is it allowed me to setup that address with UPS MyChoice, so that if I choose to, I can have the delivery held at the UPS distribution centre in Bellingham for pickup, instead of pickup at MBI. (Which I’m considering based on some of the horror stories people have shared of their UPS deliveries. The less time it travels on the truck, the better IMO).

There might be something similar in Port Angeles, or I suppose if you found it made sense, you could just take the ferry to Tsawwassen and drive from there – also not very far.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

beerfaced Owner
November 28 |

Same as anywhere I suppose but how do you go about getting a drop off point? Did you rent a post office box in Washington? forhorsman Owner November 27 | What sort of customs to they have when you take the ferry from Victoria down to Port Angeles? Maybe you could pick it up there? I’m in Squ…
Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

I’m at work, so didn’t get a chance to see if anyone else asked yet, but I would love if you had the files available for anyone wanting to make one :slight_smile: it’s a wonderful final product!

NOT reporting this as you seem to be new here but please revise this after reading the FAQ,

https://community.glowforge.com/faq#stealing

This paragraph is the problem but please read the whole thing.

Looks like there may have been changes since last time I read it so off to read I am.

2 Likes

Yes, everyone should refresh themselves on the guidelines every so often. And asking for plans in general is against the guidelines.

But the OP provided instructions, a bill of materials, and said he was happy to share:

All true but the person I told this didn’t know that nor did they know that you don’t ask.
Did my best to not come off rude but that can be a chalange for me at times.

1 Like

Really fun design and thanks for being willing to share how you did it. I’m headed in a nautical direction, but your methods helps me think through what I will do.

1 Like

I definitely do not want to undermine anyone’s work, but I did take note that he said he’d be up for sharing before asking :slight_smile:

I simply wasn’t sure if anyone had actually taken him up on his offer yet :slight_smile: thanks for the reminder though!

3 Likes

They didn’t know that the post they were looking at and replying to included an offer to share the plans?

* quizzical look *

I mean, it’s more than possible, but I’m not sure how you could know that they missed it.

They did miss that he already shared the plans, though. So, that’s something.

I edited the post at the top to point out that I shared them below, so hopefully this will clear up further confusion. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, three way mistake on this one, it does appear that he knew that an offer was made.
Not trying to be forum police, just trying to inform people of the norms here.

2 Likes

It might be that I am really tired, but I do not see where it is listed that someone may not ask about access to a design?

In the FAQ, here: https://community.glowforge.com/faq#stealing

2 Likes

Thank you, I did not catch that the first time I read it. I did find the paragraph though after reading through it again. Here is it for anyone who was in the same boat as me:

“If someone shares a print that they’ve made, please respect their sharing and do not ask for the source design or artwork. Designs take work and have value, and when you ask someone to give you that value for free, you undermine their work.”

That seems silly to me, asking is not stealing and to imply it is, is kinda a crumby thing. A designer is completely within their right to share or not without doubt. They also should not be judged for their choice. This community, at least in my view, is a maker-type community and sharing, inspiring, and building upon one another is central to that. Asking after a design does not devalue it, asking shows the owner that other people value the design.

@jwalton Thank you for sharing your design and work! It is awesome and inspirational!

a designer is completely within their right to share, but it’s also their choice. GF is saying it’s not good etiquette to ask them to give you their work for free. if they offer their work for free, then that’s great. but you shouldn’t ask them to give away their work to you for free any more than you should any other business.

4 Likes

I think I know what is going on here about releasing designs.

My wife sells stuff and I totally defer to her these days. This is because whenever someone seems to like something I made I usually give it to them. It is not that my wife is less nice than I am, she is just more practical (see how I slipped that WifeSkill +1 in there ?).

I think (this is an assumption) that Dan fears many makers may be like me and do not say How Much as often as they should or could. So he is trying to protect those who are not as practical as my wife.

There IS a subtle pressure I suppose. No one wants to be the Grinch…

4 Likes

Asking is not stealing, and no one is implying it is but for the etiquette of this forum it is considered rude because the OP has the opportunity out front to share if that is their desire. The problem comes when someone doesn’t want to share. Perhaps they plan to put the file on Etsy or sell the product. Well, the theory here is if everyone is always asking for files, people are not going to be as eager to post photos of their work.
I can see how this would seem weird if you come from a community where everyone shares but here we have people that run from wide open to won’t even post here despite the rules trying to protect them for fear of someone lifting their work.

I personally try to set a tone of sharing by, sharing. If each time you post here you will post the file to the “Free Laser Designs” section you set a president and don’t break any rules. I love to see people share but I also totally understand why they would not want to at least on certain projects.

2 Likes

You just need to pay for PST and GST… no duty based on the US Code. What will hurt is the brokerage UPS will probably charge to import, which is the ‘privalage’ when they import. I had mine shipped to a US mailbox in Point Roberts and brought it up

I collect postage stamps and UPS charged $30 to deliver my $15 stamp book. Wasn’t happy about that

That is amazing!

Dear J.

Like they said, Fantastic Plans and also way over-the-top instructions! I got my Pro in late January and am just coming up to speed with it. It will be a while before I tackle a project this big, but it is a great goal to have for the near future.

Thanks much! And keep on cutting!

1 Like