Balance Lamp

Good to know; I’ve been meaning to drop by both of those searching for laserable wood. I’ve been to both of them before for larger scale woodworking projects; I bought a small ton of tongue-and-groove cedar boards from Wood Source to do the cathedral ceilings in my front room when it turned out the cedar boards holding up the roof were infested with carpenter ants. And I custom made some flush-mount floor grills out of hickory from KJP:

But I’m in Nepean near Centrepointe, and I work out in Kanata, so neither is exactly “close”, and much though I hate HD they’re practically next door. :stuck_out_tongue:

13 Likes

I do have a couple tire shops a couple miles from me. I wonder if I can get some scrap weights from them. Binding it in an epoxy to seal in the lead is great, too.

1 Like

The box makes it super professional. Amazing job!

1 Like

Amazing work!

1 Like

Great design and it looks very professionally done.

If you could publish the plans, that would be super!

Looking forward to getting my Glow Forge. Ship date appears to be Dec 21st at this point - less the carbon bed.

Probably going to design a blower to the outside. If that works, I’ll probably cancel the carbon bed.

Keep up the good designs!

Don Rosendale

Friendly reminder, @dan pointed out recently that requesting others to post their plans is against Forum Rules.

2 Likes

The plans are higher up in this thread. :slight_smile:

I did explicitly offer to post them if people we’re interested, so I think he gets a pass. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Totally understand and I am well aware you did, your write up was excellent
I only mentioned it because Dan specifically posted about asking for plans.

1 Like

@dan doesn’t have problems with people posting designs.

His concern was/is if someone creates something (of their design or another’s), having people ask (with some sort of underlying expectation that if posted to the Glowforge Forum it is public domain) that creative licensing/personal control/privacy would be abused and potential feelings hurt stifling the sharing of creative results.

In my non-authoritative opinion :try_to_be_helpful_but_not_authoritative:

3 Likes

Holy cow, this is maybe the coolest thing I’ve seen done with a GF so far! Blown away by the creativity and problem solving!

2 Likes

Did you have your glowforge shipped to a US address?

Awesome project by the way.

I did. I shipped to Ogdensburg and drove down there and got it. Saved about $600USD in shipping, or so.

1 Like

If you don’t mind my asking how much was the duty on it? Congratulations too by the way. I will have to wait until April if I want it shipped to Victoria. :frowning:

jwalton Owner
November 25 |

I did. I shipped to Ogdensburg and drove down there and got it. Saved about $600USD in shipping, or so.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

beerfaced Owner
November 25 |

Did you have your glowforge shipped to a US address?

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Thank you so much! It’s an amazing piece and the generosity of your time to explain it is really, really appreciated.

The duty is just the taxes; HST here in Ontario. Get support to send you a proper invoice ahead of time if you want to go that route, as it will potentially make getting across the border much easier.

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. I appreciate it.

jwalton Owner
November 26 |

The duty is just the taxes; HST here in Ontario. Get support to send you a proper invoice ahead of time if you want to go that route, as it will potentially make getting across the border much easier.

In Reply To

beerfaced Owner
November 26 |

If you don’t mind my asking how much was the duty on it? Congratulations too by the way. I will have to wait until April if I want it shipped to Victoria. :frowning: jwalton Owner November 25 | I did. I shipped to Ogdensburg and drove down there and got it. Saved about $600USD in shipping, o…

What sort of customs to they have when you take the ferry from Victoria down to Port Angeles? Maybe you could pick it up there? I’m in Squamish, and have arranged for delivery down in Blaine/Bellingham.

Same as anywhere I suppose but how do you go about getting a drop off point? Did you rent a post office box in Washington?

forhorsman Owner
November 27 |

What sort of customs to they have when you take the ferry from Victoria down to Port Angeles? Maybe you could pick it up there? I’m in Squamish, and have arranged for delivery down in Blaine/Bellingham.

In Reply To

beerfaced Owner
November 27 |

Thank you for taking the time out to reply. I appreciate it. jwalton Owner November 26 | The duty is just the taxes; HST here in Ontario. Get support to send you a proper invoice ahead of time if you want to go that route, as it will potentially make getting across the border much easier. V…