Baltic Birch Source

I know a lot of people don’t like giving up their sources for where they buy materials, but I really need to find a less expensive source for the wood I use. Right now I spend $89 for 48 pieces of 1/8th inch 12x12 Baltic birch from Amazon. Seems like a high price to me, but I know the cost of wood is still up there. Also, I’d like to get larger pieces for larger projects. One option is to find a less expensive source and buy from them. The other is to buy large sheets and cut them myself using my table saw. Problem is, I don’t know if the wood from places like Home Depot and Lowes is any good for lasers.

1 Like

Woodworker’s Source is local to me, but they do ship. The link is to their 1/8 BB plywood page. Not affiliated, but I do shop their often.

5 Likes

I am not sure where you are hanging out that people don’t want to share their sources but, I’ve seen tons of them here:

https://community.glowforge.com/search?q=Baltic%20birch%20source

Generally, it seems like local suppliers are usually the best bet. Where are you located?

This place does well for a lot of people:

https://rugbyabp.com/

You can also find a lot of posts here about experiences with products from HD and other chains using the search feature.

5 Likes

Actually, it was only one person who didn’t want to reveal their source out of fear more people would start buying from them and drive the price up. :roll_eyes:. Anyway, thank you! I will check these out. I’m in California and I’m not sure of any local sources where I could purchase large sheets and cut them down myself.

4 Likes

Check out my post on sources, #1a:

Also for BB ply in particular check out Rugby Architectural Building Supplies. They might have a location near you.

4 Likes

Google for “Woodcraft near me” and you should see their closest store. They carry Baltic Birch, 3 & 6mm) that laser well.

Or order the Columbia Forest products from Home Depot - it’s designed for lasers.

2 Likes

I’ve used the Columbia forest products from Home Depot @jamesdhatch mentioned numerous times and have always been happy with the way they cut. They do not have masking if that’s an issue.

2 Likes

I mask my own, so that doesn’t matter. However, I cannot seem to find 1/8th inch pieces. I only see 1/4, 1/2, and 5/32 inch pieces.

It’s been a while since i ordered from them. i did a quick search and don’t see it either. i hope they haven’t discontinued it!!

1 Like

I buy mine from MD Wholesale. They have free shipping too, which is fantastic.

1 Like

@ellencadwell, can you supply a Link?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Sure. https://www.mdwholesale123.com/
They also give 10% off if you join their FB group. And they are really good to work with. I had an issue with one order (I’ve had a few orders with them) and they took care of it very quickly. Very friendly.

3 Likes

so they are 20 sheets for $75 + free ship
Woodworkers is 15 sheets for 36.99+15.56 shipping = $52.55

Yeah, you’re right. MD would be 25cents more per sheet. With a 10% discount, it probably averages about the same.

Someone who doesn’t understand “economy of scale.” if they move more product, that’s not necessarily going to raise prices unless they literally can’t get enough product.

as a backup, woodcraft usually does have 1/8" BB in stock if you have one local. they don’t necessarily have the best prices, but they’re often more convenient than lumber stores (if you’re in a city).

3 Likes

I like to calculate how much it per sheet. That way I have a better idea of what to charge for the things I make. Looks like Woodworkers is the least expensive at $3.50 per 12x20 sheet whereas MD is $3.75 per sheet. Sheesh! I hope prices on wood go down soon. Although I’m not holding my breath.

2 Likes

I get BB from Rockler but their prices have spiked, which is not surprising.

So has the PureBond maple ply in GF-sized sheets I use from Home Depot.

A friend of mine owns a craft home construction company. In-general, raw materials costs have doubled. It just gets passed on to the homeowner.

The new normal.

2 Likes

yeah, prices right now are crap. pre-covid you could get BB on amazon for ~$3/sheet. and much cheaper from a lumber yard if you were willing to cut it down yourself.

1 Like

I’ve bought this a couple times and been happy. $70 for 20 sheets B/BB grade

https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Baltic-Birch-Plywood-Wood-Ever/dp/B07GTQDTLR?pd_rd_w=2Relp&pf_rd_p=07da9b2f-52f3-4fa6-b605-4458a1e54cf1&pf_rd_r=DS46H4KN7QET165J2YD2&pd_rd_r=5b510086-d2b6-4e79-9d9e-875149ccf1df&pd_rd_wg=KQSPB&pd_rd_i=B07GTQDTLR&psc=1&ref_=pd_bap_d_rp_4_t

4 Likes

I am paying for uncut Baltic Birch (medium quality lots of ‘plugs’) $13 for a 5’ x 5’ sheet (in Las Vegas)

2 Likes