Bamboo cutting board with recipe

I bought an inline fan and wanted to try it right away so I whipped up this recipe card for a bamboo cutting board laying around. The guy that is kind enough to collect all the scrap glass for me shared his deer jerky recipe and I decided it would be a great surprise for him to have it on the board for Christmas. Scanned in the note card, tweaked it in Photoshop, dragged it into Illustrator and made the vector outlines then thickened it, bought a stock drawing of a deer, and bam!

Decided to place everything at the top so the board is still really useful. Also wasn’t think when I placed it in the GF and had it engrave against the head so it took an hour and a half :roll_eyes:

22 Likes

I bet he’ll love it!

2 Likes

Great gift idea. :+1:

2 Likes

Yep! Perfect! :grinning:

2 Likes

I have definitely made that mistake! Looks gorgeous though!

Not that I’m planning on making deer jerky (or any jerky) but what’s “accent”?

3 Likes

Meat tenderizer. Basically papain.

5 Likes

I cook a lot and had to google that one too. Just like Jules said it’s a tenderizer but also basically MSG, hence why his jerky tastes so dang good to me haha!

3 Likes

had to look that one up :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Can you explain to me what you mean by the engraving taking longer because you placed against the head? thanks!

The head travels left and right for engraving, and must cover the entire distance for every dot on a line. Had I placed the board in portrait orientation like you see in the photo the head would have engraved more at once and completed the job quicker.

2 Likes

What a lovely surprise that will be!

2 Likes

It looks great! Wonderful thought to do the board for him! It’s truly the best thing about having a Glowforge!

1 Like

I am not following what you mean. Are you saying you put this in Portrait and that placed it on the side? And if you had this in Landscape it would have been longways
on the board and been less time? I am still waiting on my Pro so this would be a great help to me to understand.

I engrave on the back of boards that have the drip groove so that the front with the groove is still usable.

3 Likes

I would as well, but I highly doubt he will use this and the back of the board was dull enough not to warrant display, so I opted for the front. The verdict is still out on how much containment stays from food in a wooden board anyway, it’s the same as having a routered drip edge.

3 Likes