Baptism Decorations

My wife styled a baptism for a friend’s child, Noah, and I got to help (said in the style of those little girls helping mom fry with Crisco - a strange idea now). She made the cake and its cute ark topper, macarons, decorated animal cookies, painted the wall hanging, bought all of the stuffed animals, coordinated the flowers… I made the lettering for the wall hanging, the N-O-A-H circles and little arks for the cookie bags, printed the napkins wraps and inflated the balloon clouds. So…mostly her…

Cake topper is edible paint-coated fondant on a foam core. Lemon cake with blueberry cream cheese filling. Chocolate ganache macarons. Buttermilk cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

The circles are Baltic birch painted with chalk paint and then engraved.

For the ark name tags, I found a photo of that new ark experience (The Ark) and created a simple vector. I cut them out of Proofgrade walnut hardwood.

The hardest part of the lettering (Baltic birch) was glueing the letters in place without creating a mess. The best way that I found was to cut each line as a set of it’s surrounding wood (Frame) and the letters as a set. Then I taped that row panel to lift the letters and frame. Placed that on the table. Removed the tape. Lifted the frame (wood around the letters) and aligned it to the painting. I elevated the frame off the painting just a few millimeters with shims. Then I put CA glue on the back of each letter and dropped it through it’s outline in the frame and pushed it down on the painting with tweezers. It’s a bit like the reverse of the game “Operation” without the buzzer and light.

The gift packages are Animal Crackers boxes.

The cake topper ark detail.

Anyway, not as technically challenging as what a lot of you do, but maybe fun to see how my wife and I are combining our skills.

29 Likes

The whole thing is adorable, decor as well as the food offerings! :sunglasses::+1:

2 Likes

That was a lot of work, and really came together nicely!

2 Likes

You and your wife merged together are basically me. Except that I have very little fondant skill. Everything came together beautifully!

1 Like

Are you kidding? Beautiful bunch of decorations…so personal and very elegant. You make a great creative team!

2 Likes

Totally agree. Pulling together a cohesive theme is a technical challenge in and of itself.

2 Likes

“…and I helped!” Oh yes, I can still hear it. We made fun of that commercial a lot and to this day, we still say it when there is fried chicken.

Wow. What a great event. Very inspiring. Some great party planning there for such a beautiful occasion!

4 Likes

Ohmygosh, so much talent in one family! You and your wife are a killer team!

2 Likes

Really like the ark.
Came out swell.

1 Like

Thanks!

My wife has an edge on me. I’m a long time tech industry exec, newly working on laser creations. My wife on the other hand is a CIA-certified wine professional who ran cave events for a winery in Napa, Chicago French Pastry School trained bread baker, Wilton HQ trained cake decorator, former CA florist / caterer, CT shop owner… and now studying calligraphy. I married well. She amazes me every day. We’re in a different market than she’s used to, but we’re having fun figuring out what people like. I’ll post what she did for a wedding a few weeks ago.

7 Likes

Thanks @geek2nurse @ChristyM @marmak3261 @cynd11 @brokendrum !

3 Likes

You and your wife make a great team.

2 Likes

And that big creamy “S” always looked SO delicious that I couldn’t resist sneaking a finger full. It never tasted like it looked like it should, but I was young and innocently optimistic, and kept snitching some every time I got a chance, like somehow, some day, it would suddenly be creamy and delicious. :thinking:

1 Like

Wow…Does the FBI have wine professionals too?

1 Like

undercover…SHHHHH. It’s a secret. …and I was corrected “advanced certified…”

One of her events:

Now if we could only dig a cave in WI we would be on our way. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Shiny!!!

I love the cake! It is so beautifully done! Everything is a stunning compliment to the cake. Just amazing!

2 Likes