Batman & Robin Inlay

I’m working on my entry for the San Diego County Fair’s “Design In Wood” competition. It will be a guitar to fit the theme “Heros Re-Unite”. I’m building a guitar inspired by George Barris’ 1966 Batmobile. This will be the inlay on the back.

56 Likes

Wow. Amazing.

What kind of colors? I bought alcohol ink markers but cannot get anywhere near that level of detail.

5 Likes

BIF, BAM BOOM, Batman!! That is very cool! Hope you show the final guitar!

7 Likes

This is made with pre dyed veneer. You can get it at Rockler woodworking stores or Amazon.

7 Likes

I will. It will be another month it so, but I will definitely share the final product.

5 Likes

Wow. Yes, I’ve seen the veneer at Rockler. So the whole thing, including the detail on the faces, is inlay? That’s amazing.

4 Likes

That looks so awesome! Yes, please share the final product!!!

6 Likes

Yes, everything is wood veneer, even the face details. I’ve dialed in my cutting technique to allow very small detail pieces without burning them up.
Thanks for checking it out.

7 Likes

That’s wonderful detail! Great marquetry.

4 Likes

Just WOW!

2 Likes

Thank you so much!

Amazing!! I am a Bat fan & a tad jealous! Well done. Looking forward to a peek at the finished work of art!

3 Likes

Just adding my voice to the choir of cheers for this fantastic work in progress. Sweet music in the making.

5 Likes

Very nice inlay work. The colors that you have chosen fit the characters perfectly, and your name and logo on your is a nice touch too. :blush:

4 Likes

Thank you so much. It’s almost time for a new logo on the GF sled. That one has been on there for 2 years now.

1 Like

Thanks so much. I’m quite happy with it. I can’t wait to see it on the instrument. I’ll share when it’s ready.

1 Like

Holy reminisces, Batperson!

3 Likes

That is terrific. The small pieces you cut to form the faces, especially the eyes are quite difficult to get right. It definitely looks like you are building the winner to me!

4 Likes

Great work!! Love the look of the veneer.

3 Likes

Wow, really great work. Makes me think of stained glass with the way you inlayed the woods together.

3 Likes