Bay Area Maker Faire 2017: On site report from MakForge

The Pixel does have a good F stop and optics. In addition to those, Google has done a good job on the camera software with the Pixel.

If I was to compare it to an Apple, I think it meets or beats the 6s camera (maybe even the 6s Plus), but the 7 series beats the Pixel.

My primary phone is the Windows 950 XL and it does very well with HDR enabled.

1 Like

Anyone seen the Kodak Ektra? Apparently it’s actually making it to the states (the last model was discontinued before they made it that far. Interesting specs for a phone (camera-first phone, as they call it.)

http://www.kodak.com/consumer/products/ektra/default.htm

2 Likes

I haven’t seen this yet. Weird since I live in Rochester, the home of Kodak, so these thing usually make the local news.

I’ll have to ask my friends that work at Kodak about it.

1 Like

it’s mediocre at best and has very little to do with the original kodak brand. absolutely skip it.

Sooner or later, stuff ceases to be a phone with a built-in camera, and it becomes a camera with a built-in phone.

1 Like

Flight of the Conchords invented this years ago!

3 Likes

I think that was actually what they were going for.

1 Like

ish. i mean real cameras are going to be ahead for a long time into the foreseeable future, so i think we’ll always be in an arms race. the next big one is zoom / optical zoom, i think, in terms of quality improvements (360-degree / VR cameras offer an interesting trick, but the quality on all the affordable ones is pretty bad).

the real problem with this is that it’s just riding the coattails of an older brand. if they updated this again, i think it’d be the one to beat:

2 Likes

yea, people get very caught up in the MP count, but my of 6MP Canon 10D still takes better pictures than most the 15+ MP camera phones out there if for no other reason the optics are better.

3 Likes

for sure, also sheer sensor size is another big one. the smaller the sensor, the less light that gets to each pixel…

2 Likes

Me too!! Me too!!

And how about …

I’ve got a Glowforge (outline sketch of one in the middle) … What’s your super power?

2 Likes

Should be easy enough to use a touchscreen LCD and add the cellular radio to a ProDSLR, right? :smiley: They already put wi-fi in many of them, and for once, removable and upgradable storage would be nice. LOL. Then Facebook and Instagram can develop apps that can handle RAW images… Haha!!

I’ve owned 13 digital cameras so far, but I’ve been in a holding pattern for the past few years. When I evaluate a new candidate, it has to pass three tests before I look more closely: 1) it’s pocket-able, 2) has a large sensor (1" min), and 3) has low min f-stop for potential shallow depth of field (f2 or less). I’m waiting for the sweet spot that combines these features with a phone.

1 Like

too bad the CM10 doesn’t have a phone - it’s LTE-data only. other than though it’s pretty close to your required specs, though i think you’re a bit pie in the sky to demand all of that plus f/2 or less.

i’ve given up on the idea for now, but i have an rx100 and a ricoh gr that i use when i want to feel portable.

1 Like

Yes, the RX100 is the latest one I’ve been using.

My canon 5dmkIV has wifi, touch screen including focus management in live mode and lots of folks make remote triggers via wifi, Bluetooth, Lora, and a few that use cellular (although that is complicated due to the insanity of cell data plans)

1 Like

well, at this point in time it’s silly to add cell data to an advanced large camera in my opinion. mostly because we still don’t have a good grasp of sharing data plans across multiple devices. for now, having wi-fi is enough for uploading quick snaps in the field through your phone (and if your camera doesn’t have wi-fi, those eye-fi cards work very well).

eventually they’ll probably all have advanced radios that you can pair to your cell plans, but that won’t happen without a big shakeup in philosophy among the large carriers.

1 Like

And more importantly full remote control. Being able to place a camera up high on a post, or whatever and shoot tethered via WiFi is huge…

3 Likes

And the less that light differs from the light on the surrounding pixels. As far as I can tell, all the small-sensor high-count cameras are well beyond the diffraction limit of their optics – dunno if the processing algorithms take that into account.

This is definitely true.

Full Frame digital sensors outresolved even the most expensive lenses, 15 years ago. Even 8MP APS sized sensors did that.

So now comparing against smaller pocket camera and cell phone sensors that are also 8MP, or 12MP, they have WAY smaller pixels and tighter pixel pitch to make that happen. They’re way beyond the abilities of the optics used on those phones and cameras. The issue is, the smaller sensors with high resolutions tend to have issues with noise. They do have onboard software to handle both correcting sharpness and cleaning up image noise.

3 Likes