BBQ in a box - Just add Meat!

Happy Saturday!!!

Been busy with work lately so really haven’t had time to make anything but today I needed to make a box to hold JD bottle and spices for my Cousin’s Husband. So this morning I designed a box…it was fun exercise in getting everything to fit. Lol

10” w x 11” d x 7” h. Made it out of 1-sided 1/4” cherry ply but really didn’t like the cherry so I used the other side. I added a walnut barrel top medallion and walnut veneer for the edges. The insert is 1/8” mdf and can be removed. To finish it off I just waxed the hell out of it. Pictures really don’t do the color of the wood justice.

73 Likes

Nice interplay of wood colors and grain, but really, really nice job finishing with the wax!

5 Likes

Thanks! Yeah, the wax really does make it pop. Unfortunately, I cannot take a good picture of it. LOL

1 Like

Love it!

2 Likes

This is great! I love the contrast of the different wood!

5 Likes

This looks amazing. So nice to customize for gifts…I’m not quite there yet, but still learning everyday!

4 Likes

@beerfaced Thank you! Was a fun quick project!

@Aloha Yeah I played around with a lot of combinations and ultimately just used the secondary wood. It had the best look.

@rvogt That is one of the things I love about the GF. You can just make something rather than have to go out and find it, And to tell the truth, I am still learning every day too! Apparently, I am in good company!

6 Likes

Great job on the box, thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Very Nice! I presume tabbed construction with the veneer dressing the edges? :star_struck:

5 Likes

Nicely engineered box!

4 Likes

Absolutely! Gotta make it look pretty. LOL

2 Likes

Thank you! Boxes are fun to play with.

2 Likes

I love how you just whip up a beautiful box as a last thought in a morning. I’d spend a few days on something like that!

4 Likes

HAHA. I think I have beat boxes to death. I just keep using the same formula…Box + Veneer to hide the edges, then throw an insert in it to hold the stuff. The inserts are really the hardest part. LOL

3 Likes

3 Likes

It is an excellent simple box. Very hard thing to beat to death, It just needs a different slice so it’s something like patterns, rather than shape. Imagine it as an array of cherry blossoms that were in cherry wood.

3 Likes

Not sure if I understand. You think I need to change it?

1 Like

HAHAHA…That is hilarious!!!

Absolutely not! That is your usual amazing work,

You had said what I had understood as running out of new places to go with future boxes, so I was just suggesting a rabbit hole I was currently exploring in decorating what would be otherwise a “normal” box by covering it in patterns, with that cherry blossom pattern an excellent example,

While much inlay here has been puzzle like of fitting parts into holes, patterns ,with so many intricate bits, would be more than the usual challenge, I have done it in silver inlaid jewelry, but now trying to accomplish it with two pieces instead of two hundred per design.

1 Like