Because New Electronics Are Ugly

We have a great-sounding speaker in our house that we use with our Echo Dot. OK, I’m exaggerating when I say it’s ugly, but it just doesn’t go with our house.

There’s really no reason for me to tolerate this aesthetic mediocrity with a Glowforge around. So, I made a fake, retro radio cover for the whole setup. It’s mostly PG Medium Walnut. We got a cheap sparkly fabric remnant for the grill. The dial art is sandwiched between two pieces of PG clear acrylic. The knobs are painted soda bottle caps. I used gold Rub and Buff in the engraves.

I even put a neon light behind the dial to give it the look of an old, glowing tube.

I definitely like this better than the old setup.

101 Likes

Neat!

3 Likes

I do too! Fantastic reproduction! :grinning:

3 Likes

Thank you, @Jules!

2 Likes

Very nice. I used to have one of those about 60 years ago😁

3 Likes

Love tech, but I like mod better!

3 Likes

This is amazing. Well done.

2 Likes

Light was a nice touch. Looks like the real deal lol.

1 Like

Ohmygosh, that is so cute!!! I love the retro styled name and the lighted dial. Amazing job!

2 Likes

Just curious, did the case affect the sound much? Absolutely love the look of it!

2 Likes

That’s awesome. I am looking at the doing something similar! I working on designing an old school boom box from the 80’s and I am going to embed the Echo dot in the center. I can’t wait to share my design.

2 Likes

I was concerned about that so I used very sheer fabric on the grill. There is a slight difference in sound; a tiny reduction in volume. Strangely, it isn’t muddy or muffled. Sounds good!

2 Likes

Can’t wait to see it!

excellent!!

1 Like

Thank you!

Thanks!

Absolutely Beautiful!

1 Like

Very well done!

2 Likes

No you aren’t :wink:

1 Like