Bed Size vs Cutting Dims - lots of wasted material

I presume before cracking as it would be hard to separate the soap and water after. but wondering how that would stop an infection inside the egg, or if a few bacteria managed to be near the point of cracking would have trouble multiplying before eating?

At which time just touching with fingers would pass the same critters as I have seen few dirty eggs not direct from the farm.

But there are other reasons salmonella infection is uncommon. Infected hens donā€™t always lay infected eggsā€”only rarely does the salmonella bacteria enter a henā€™s ovaries and, consequently, its eggs. Using data from the 1990s, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimate that one in 20,000 eggs is internally contaminated with salmonella.

1 Like

Not so much doubting the possibility of infected eggs, but how washing them changes that.

I bought a large thing of roasted garlic powder that far outlasts regular, but eventually started to clot up, so I heat treated that a 180 degrees for an hour, tossed in the chopper and now runs like salt again.

Some salmonella can come on the outsideā€¦ So washing reduces your already miniscule chances further. Plus I grew up eating fresh eggs, which sometimes had, uh, decorations.

3 Likes

But donā€™t wash them until youā€™re about to eat them, because it destroys the protective coating that keeps bacteria from getting through the shell. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Too late for store bought, thatā€™s why you have to keep them refrigeratedā€¦

4 Likes

A thin coating of mineral oil can be used to replace that bloom, making your refrigerated eggs last 6-8 months without degrading in quality. (You do have to turn them over every other month to rotate the air pocket.) I sometimes buy the big Samā€™s club flats, spend 15 minutes giving them an oiling, then donā€™t have to remember to buy eggs for a while. Cheaper to buy in bulk too.

I know you technically donā€™t have to refrigerate them, but Iā€™ve never been quite that brave. :smile:

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.