Bedroom monogram/name signs for kiddos

I’ve been really enjoying making signs for bedroom doors for some of the kids in my life. I hadn’t used much draftboard before, so I started simple and ramped it up with each one.

Starting simple: cut and score, then one color of paint by hand and a metallic sharpie. It’s the Canadian flag maple leaf, colored dark blue to evoke the Toronto Maple Leafs hockey team. It was here I learned how annoying the fibers are in off-the-rack draftboard if trying to make a finished, painted product.

Next was also cut/score then paint. Painted the blue areas, then removed more masking and carefully did the orange. Some areas left unpainted because I did not even remotely want to deal with trying to paint them. Design adapted from this pack of rockets.

Finally, the one where I took my time and did it mostly right :rofl: Larger area cut out, sanded with a sanding block, then spray painted pink with more sanding between layers. Texture is smooth to the touch, but visually still clearly fiberboard. After fully dried, I remasked, scored everything, and did the final outline cut and the flowers. Selective mask removal and gold paint. The flowers have glitter, with a tiny circle of masking in the center removed after the glitter. Finally, flowers were glued on and create a nice depth and dimensionality. Design adapted from this free for personal use unicorn and brought to you by the letter R.

30 Likes

Love the progression of detail and complexity. Nice write up.

1 Like

Like that unicorn! :slightly_smiling_face::+1:

1 Like

Excellent clean, crisp graphics! Your painting skills are great.

1 Like

These are terrific. Great colors and skillful painting techniques.

1 Like

Aww. I bet the kids love them! Heck, I love them!

1 Like

Love the unicorn. Wow!

1 Like