Bee Smart Soap Dish #homemade

Actually if you want to save the base, you might be able to just sand the tabs on one side…but I know folks don’t like sanding.

Another thing to watch is to insert the fins into the top of the base going down…the kerf profile is going to be broader on top. Then you can squeeze press the base on from the bottom. (Or use a rubber mallet.)

Acrylic is tough to work with - it has less give than wood, so I probably had that too tight for the clear acrylic. It took a little forcing for the black. Sorry bout that.

2 Likes

Ok Jules thanks a lot for taking the time to explain and try to fix this.
Did you change the file already?
In the meantime I’ll try to save the base by sanding like you said. I want to do 2 more using black and yellow acrylic like you did but I want to make sure it’s going to work before I try again lol…
Again, I really really love this file! Amazing!!!

3 Likes

Yep, the new one should be up there now. Let me know if that one winds up being too loose - it’s going to definitely need glue to anchor the fins. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Ok thanks a lot

Ok I’ll try that one… THANK YOU …THANK YOU!!!

2 Likes

I looovveee this!!

3 Likes

It is adorable!! Too cute, not sure whether I like the engraving or the honeycomb best. Hmmm. Thank you!!!

3 Likes

More Awesome Possum-ness from my favorite Hedgie!.. SQUEEEEE!

2 Likes

What a fun project for this evening!! Thanks so much for sharing!!!

5 Likes

It turned out great! Did you use the two-colored acrylic for the front? :grinning:

I used purple and yellow acrylic and finished it with a black base. I painted the engraved text and bee with some nice metal flake dark grey paint. It was a fun project!!!

1 Like

The paint worked out great…I wasn’t sure how well it would stick on acrylic but it looks just like the one i did.

You are an awesome designer!!! Thanks so much for sharing this design. I think I’ll make one for the master bathroom downstairs too. It was kind of cool to load the design after the assembly and create an extended base with the “Create New Outline” tool. It took about 2 seconds and I was off to cutting a nice black acrylic base to cover the mounting holes. Cool and quick!!! Thanks again Jules!!!

1 Like

Jules,

My father-in-law started a hive (is that the correct term?) about 18 months ago — has split it once. He will get a buzz out of this!

Hoping to see a lot more bee themed items – I could really fill his Christmas stocking with bee themed gifts (he is soooooooo hard to buy for that having to do a stocking on top of a gift is difficult.

Haven’t ordered from Innovative Plastics before so will check them out…been waiting on my eStreet order for like 4 weeks now I think.

Thanks for sharing!

2 Likes

@davidgal2 and @rebecca built a 3D honeybee design based on a Thingiverse file…he might like that too. I think David has the link to the file in his thread here:

4 Likes

I just finished a couple of HOURS in the community looking for all the bee ideas/designs — do you know how many results I got (more than I can count) because there is Bee/s, beer, beef, been … thanks for the link!

2 Likes

You need to make yourself a sign or something for the wall… “My brother took up beekeeping and is now covered in hives” :grin: brother works better than father-in-law for the joke anyway

3 Likes

OMG I love that! I will have to do that – he will think that is funny

1 Like

Pictures! :grin:

Definitely — trying to figure out the technique I want to use — going to talk to husband tonight after work — we owe his dad a belated father’s day gift as all we got him was this shirt from shirt.woot thus far:

heh heh heh

6 Likes