Bee Smart Soap Dish #homemade

Just a timely reminder for youngsters. (And husbands who like to muck around in garages.) :wink:

The interior fins are honeycombed, and you could cut two extra to use in the outside slots instead of the solid panels if desired. (Or add your own artwork to the main file.)

The second file in the zip is the optional decorative text, designed to be engraved and cut on IPI 1/16" Two Color Laserable Acrylic, then glued to outside of dish.

(And if it’s glued, you can toss it in the dishwasher to clean it.) :innocent:

Soap Dish jmz.zip (90.7 KB)

Settings here:

74 Likes

Beautiful. :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

Oh that is really cute. Thanks for the file @jules!

3 Likes

What a well thought out and timely design!

4 Likes

Thank you.

3 Likes

Thanks gang! Been wanting to do a bumblebee design for a few days since they showed up for work here a couple weeks ago. :grinning:

4 Likes

Great share. Thanks! Of course, as a beekeeper, I wholly approve of the theme. :honeybee:

8 Likes

I thought about you while doing the honeycomb part. (Which was a last minute addition.) :smile:

5 Likes

Cute!!

3 Likes

There is a bumble bee looking critter that digs its nest in dead wood of the sort your furniture or soffits etc will do nicely. There are folks that keep chunks of 5/8" dowel about as that fits tightly in their holes. They like a dry entrance so soffits are particularly attractive but they did in a wooden bench of mine coming up from below,

3 Likes

You make the coolest stuff. :blush:

2 Likes

This is so cute…and so functional at the same time. Thank you for sharing the file with us! Your next challenge is to make a 20 second ‘egg timer’ to set next to this… :grinning:

2 Likes

Now live in a log cabin. :roll_eyes:

Though the wasp nest took care of them last year. Sadly, they bothered me and I had to take them out so I think I’ll have issues again this year.

3 Likes

A very lovely design… I love it. However, nothing fit on the bottom base. Looks like the kerf is too small on the base. I’m using Proofgrade Medium Clear Acrylic as you can see in the picture. Am I doing something wrong? TIA

1 Like

2 Likes

Adorable Jules!

5 Likes

Sorry gang… I might have posted the kerf adjusted file accidentally. (Can’t do that for files that other people use if the material varies in thickness.)

I’ll exchange that one for the non kerf adjusted file. (Shouldn’t be off by 2.8 mm though - that’s a lot. I wonder if the black acrylic melts a wider kerf due to heat retention?) :thinking:

1 Like

Okay, I think that should fix it…The new file is going to require glue to keep the fins upright. (I wonder if the black acrylic holds heat/melts a slightly wider kerf than the clear?)

2 Likes

Love that!!! Thanks for the file!!!

3 Likes

If you were Very Careful you could run the bottom again, just a scooch down from the other. If that does not work you have not lost a lot.