Been working on house signs this week

Our house is called “Rose Cottage” so that is of course where I started first.

When we bought the house we found it was actually numbers 34 and 44 on the street. Now this made no sense as there are only 5 hours on the whole road (we are quite UK rural). After a bit of digging around I found that often rural houses would be numbered by the order in which they were built for the local estate landlord.

We’ve recently found some maps from 150 years ago which shows where our two houses were and the well in the garden. The “houses” were 1 room each, of the two only 1 room still remains, with walls about a foot thick and very Georgian farmworker windows.

Anyway, none of that went into the design of the sign. Instead I just went with roses :slight_smile:
You can find this at my design shop, https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/AQSLaserDesigns

So having a done a rose I got the bit between my teeth and made a few more, they are all quite English I think: Oak House, Holly House, Meadow Court are quite common names here. Then I threw in a cornucopia for no reason at all :slight_smile:

All the “painting” is done with felt tips on top of the engraved image. I’m sure a proper painter could do a much better job, but painting isn’t really in my skill set.

I like the “3D” effect the layers give.

59 Likes

So do I :slightly_smiling_face:

We’ll have to give thought to naming our new house. Just for fun.

4 Likes

So, on a less cheerful note, my wife was never happy about the name “Rose Cottage”. Turns out it is hospital slang for someone having died. “They’ve gone to Rose Cottage”.

4 Likes

I love that whole idea. MY house has a much less impressive name. “Number 19”…

4 Likes

I’ll name my house “Moonraker 5” because it contains a cool laser just like the Bond film.

4 Likes

I’ve already named my house “Castillo del Gato”; I just haven’t made the sign yet.

For the record, I’m the Chief Tailservant.

6 Likes

When I moved to Chicago in 2011 my place was in Lincoln Square, west of Lincoln and east of Western on West Eastwood. I called it Casa de Who’s On First?

5 Likes

When I lived in Manhattan I had an apartment at Turdy-Tree West Turdy-Turd… (really) or as we referred to it - “Da Turd”.

6 Likes

The painting is fantastic. I love the colors.

4 Likes

Thank you, just done with felt tip pens :slight_smile:

1 Like

Beautiful work!

2 Likes

Gosh, your painting is amazing! The signs are really lovely.

I think it’s charming how houses of all sizes get names in the UK. Seems that only happens here mostly with huge estates.

3 Likes

That’s interesting, I thought everywhere named their houses. Every house we’ve had has either had a a name, or we’ve given it one.

We’ve had “Dick, Van Dyke Road”, “The Mill”, “Henry’s Moat”, “Rose Cottage”, “The Barn”, “Yew Tree House”, “Common Farm House”, “King John’s Court”…,

4 Likes

Love the signs! And love the story of your house. We’ve been watching “Escape to the Country” and love all the history of the buildings, which are, of course, so much older than those here in the U.S. We lived on the west coast and loved seeing buildings built in the 1800s, now live in the South and have buildings from the 1700s, but you have them from the 1300s and older! Here in the U.S., “historical” houses may have names, but most do not. However, farms and ranches do. Our farm is registered with our State. We are “5 Bits Farm,” from a nickname my first boss gave me (I was still in high school at the time, and she called me that for 30 years). I have a painted sign for the road, but will need to make one like this for the house.

3 Likes

These are great! Love the roses and your selected font.

It’s a shame it has another meaning for your wife.

Inspires me to name our home.

2 Likes

Gorgeous!

1 Like