Bespoke Fly Box

Working up another Flyfishing-related design. I’ve made fly boxes using my Shaper Origin for a year or so, but they take so l-o-n-g to hog out the centers compared to just cutting with my Glowforge and stacking the layers. Might be onto something here…

Medium Cherry PG Ply

49 Likes

I can absolutely see this being made in some exotic wood. Maybe about 10 years ago I was at the used bookstore and I came across this vintage fly fishing book. The book was from the 1940s or 50s and the bookstore only wanted two dollars or three dollars. I purchased it not knowing anything about flyfishing.

The book was about how to make all these different fly fishing lures. If I knew where it was I would take a picture and post it.

5 Likes

My daughter and I used to fly-fish. We fished the Gallatin and Madison last trip out West.

My fly boxes are nothing that fancy! :grinning:

8 Likes

Did you lasercut the foam too?

2 Likes

No. I used a couple of 6” Wheatley inserts purchased online.

3 Likes

Why not use a Forster bit to do the majority of the pocketing? If you stay far enough inset, shaper will still be able to clean everything up.

For this kind of box I have switched to using the shaper to cut out a template of the opening, then a Forster bit to hog out the waste, and finish with a small bowl bit. The bowl bit leaves a nice radius.

4 Likes

Sure, I’ve used Forstner bits to speed up hogging, but this method is quicker. Plus, I just wanted to try this as proof of concept. :wink:

5 Likes

If one is stacking like that, then using 3/8" wood to cut 4 pieces with strong rounding at the corners on each layer can make it side grain on all sides. And engraving in the thinner top and bottom would make all the end grain only on the corners plus you can round all edges that way.

I have some of those hinges, and the ones that are just the two pieces and was wondering how I would use them. That is a really great way.

2 Likes

Very nice!

4 Likes

I know. I was going to make a small box to put see’s candies in for v-day. So long, next time I’m thinking of hogging out the bulk with a Forster bit an d us the shaper for the fine work. Or get my shark cnc up and running and use it

3 Likes

This is just beautiful!

4 Likes

That’s really nice. What kind of hinges are those?

2 Likes

They are called barrel hinges.

5 Likes

Hey! That would work as an earring box as well!

Very nice.

3 Likes

I love those hinges! I will have to look into those more… “barrel hinges”… very nice.

3 Likes

Places like Rockler and other specialty shops sell them., but you can get them MUCH cheaper on Amazon.

3 Likes

These are the ones used: https://amzn.to/3wZmSGh

2 Likes

Sure - replace the foam pads with eva foam, felt, or even flocking… :wink:

Really like how we can combine hobbies with the GF. Very well done!!!

3 Likes