Best & Cheapest prototyping material

I just found this on eBay and ordered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200-8-5x11-Chipboard-Cardboard-Craft-Scrapbook-Scrapbooking-Sheets-8-5-11-/321903834586?hash=item4af2f6b5da:g:6zQAAOSwwbdWLphe.

8.5"x11" sheets, so will work for the Basic. 200 sheets for about $20 shipped.

4 Likes

Don’t know - depends on the weight. I have some stuff that’s about the weight of cardstock. I prefer the 30-ply from Dick Blick for testing things that need some stiffness.

BTW, chipboard is measured in decimal fractions of an inch. It’s sometimes referred to in points (pt) or ply. They’re all equivalent. A 30pt or ply is about the thickness and stiffness as a credit card. 22pt is like cereal box cardboard.

High volume, low-cost chipboard may be as thin as 1/64". You might want to ask the seller what the weight or thickness of what they’re selling is.

5 Likes

When I think chipboard I think particle board or OSB. What are you guys refering to?

It’s a thick dense cardboard. Like you get on the back of a pad of paper.

3 Likes

You guys are great! Thanks for the help!

2 Likes

It also depends on what you are prototyping.

I have never used a laser cutter before, but I plan on using EVA foam sheets to prototype leather projects. I will be using chipboard to practice wood projects.

1 Like

I work at a retail establishment, and they are often updating their displays. The updated displays are often thrown away. Don’t hesitate to ask the employees/manager if they have any displays/ signage/cardboard that you can have. I’ve got easy access to cardboard, chipboard, thick paper. I’ve even scored some yellow and orange acrylic.

Also paper for making really huge paper airplanes!!:grin::grin:

22 Likes
2 Likes

From that link, is says but strong and rigid surface
Some of the foam board I’ve bought has an easily dented surface.
Can anyone using the material give me a heads up comparison with something else regarding just how rigid that surface is.
I’m searching for a lightweight back for a shadow box type picture frame.
Thanks
John

30pt chipboard. That’s what it’s sold for (picture frame backs).

4 Likes

Thanks James.
Perhaps I should have added that I aim to hang a fan (weighs about 50gm/ 2oz) from the backing board with a custom made acrylic support, so the surface needs to be able to take a small screw.
Unless of course I glue the support to the back ?
Mmmm…might work by distributing the load a bit.

1 Like

I’d go with 1/16 or 1/8th plywood then. Far more robust.

1 Like

I found this thickness guide.

Chipboard thickness is measured by a point system. Each point is 1/1000th of an inch.

Light - 20 pt or 1/42nd of an inch, about the thickness of a cereal box.
XL - 32 pt. or 1/32nd of an inch, about the thickness of a credit card
Extra Heavy - 50-52 pt or 1/20th of an inch, about the thickness of a penny.
2X - 85 pt. or 3/32nd of an inch, about the thickness of 2 dimes.

16 Likes

uline has sheets of chip board and they ship UPS,

https://www.uline.com/BL_1852/Chipboard-Pads

If you order be prepared to get their glossy catalog twice a week! They must spend a fortune in priniting

2 Likes

I finally got them to stop sending me the catalog at my shop, but I haven’t been able to get them to stop sending it to my house.

The catalogs make a pretty great disposable palette for working with pinstriping paints, but I just can’t keep up with the volume they send.

3 Likes

We have had a few businesses at our address over the years and I really think we get 2 a week if not more. I call and email about every two months and request they stop.

2 Likes

Wow. 230 sheets of .050" 11x17 for $56. Nice deal.

DigiKey catalogs work well as monitor stands. Think way back to when people had landlines - they’re the size of a good size city’s phone book.

3 Likes

Excellent suggestion! What material do I select or search for in the interface when using chipboard? The app does not seem to have chipboard as an option…

It doesn’t. I set the parameters myself. If I recall (not at my machine now) I use power 40 & speed 500.

I like using the stuff because it’s not squishy like corrugated cardboard, is really pretty cheap and yet it’s still stiff and holds its structure well so I can reuse jugs and things and not worry about the holes for things getting worn out of shape very fast.

1 Like