Best Masking Tape

So i normally don’t use masking tape on my leather but my wife wanted me to use some for a project and i used some painters tape. Well the painters tape kind of pulled up the leather and you could see where it was. What is some of the masking tape you use that is ok to use on leather?

Sometimes you can “erase” it by just rubbing it with your fingers, or maybe with some mink oil or conditioner, etc.

Someone posted on a leather group I’m in about some “gentle” painter’s tape that worked well for them, but I didn’t save the brand name, sorry! It’s a clue, though – check the paint section for tapes with less stickiness. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Leather surfaces can be really tricky because there are so many variations. An old leatherworker’s hack if tape can’t be avoided is to stick your tape to your, clean, jeans/pants first. The tape picks up a little lint and becomes a bit less aggressive. Tape should also be removed as soon as possible to avoid the adhesive setting and grabbing more of the finish.

5 Likes

well isn’t that an interesting little tidbit right there. thanks for that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

There are different painters tape out there with different tackiness. They come in different colours. Purple I think has the least amount of stick to it. Home Depot sells it here.

2 Likes

i’m headed there today so i’ll have to check it out

1 Like

I use the same medium tack masking whether it’s wood or leather - but I also put it on right before I cut, and pull it off immediately after…

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01D3UZL0W

2 Likes

I use the Scotch brand delicate surface tape (it’s light purple), and it’s great for not damaging surfaces or leaving residue

1 Like