Best way to Line up multiple images

So here’s a question: what do you think is the best way to line up multiple images on multiple pieces? For example, I made some slate coasters for a local company, all the same logo, all the same size on the same material. I did NOT however make a jig for them. I just put four 4"x4" square slate tiles in the machine, and got them all lined up the best I could. It seemed to work ok, but sometimes it’s hard to see the edges of the work piece to get things properly centered…
Are jigs the best way to go when doing multiple pieces at once? I’m assuming the answer is yes and I just need to not be lazy and get some flat cardboard I can use to make jigs lol. I have also not used snap marks yet, so I’m really dropping the ball here lol

3 Likes

I’ve never used snapmarks, but yeah - jig. If your art is lined up correctly and your materials are even sizes, you only have to jig one corner and then everything flows from there. I keep a few spare pieces of wood around so I can move my materials as close to center as possible - and with the new Lid Calibration it’s dead on

2 Likes

A jig or snapmarks is the best way for a couple of reasons. One, you can align the straight edge of a jig to the lip of the crumbtray, so that it’s squared up. This eliminates the potential for you not placing the objects straight and square by hand (snapmarks will detect rotation and adjust). Two, making the jig and the engraves in the same file, you don’t have to worry about aligning the images you are using for engraving. Aligning in the design software is faster and more accurate.

If aligning the images by hand like you are doing, you should set focus where you are placing each image and then set it. It may appear to move as you set focus in different areas, and that’s fine - just leave the ones that have been done where they are at.

2 Likes

Depending on the weather this week/weekend, I will try to make a simple jig to do some coasters. I only have 8 to do on cork so I will just do them one at a time instead of 4 at a time like I did the slate ones

jigs don’t need to be complex. they can be as simple as a few pieces of tape, a pair of rectangular ceramic magnets, or a wooden ruler and some hold-down pins.

4 Likes

or even just a free piece of amazon box cardboard that you cut the 4x4 shapes of your coasters out of and just drop in the new piece for each run.

1 Like

I am doing coasters on wood. It was hard to decide how many to put in the jig. Four copies makes for a 20 minute engrave batch and that allows me to do shorter prints and then go on to something else. But then as I had a nice period of time last night, I wish I would have done six or eight of them in a jig. Then I wouldn’t have to get up and replace them so often. Takes about two minutes to get the next print going and with 350 coasters, that is adding up.

3 Likes

Couldn’t you just make a jig with a larger number of spaces and then only fill so many of the spaces with designs and material?

1 Like

Yes. Should have started it that way and left room for more. But after I started with four I didn’t want to take the time to cut a new jig.

1 Like

I have found that a dark object like a slate coaster or tile is often hard to see against the crumb tray. I have started placing a sheet of paper under them, so that the contrast makes it easier, and the paper is so thin as to be negligible in the focal length. I suppose you could put a border of light tape along one or more edges of the object, too. Masking the whole surface seems like overkill.

4 Likes

I have made shields for all my magnets and wrapped them in white tape to make them easier to see and the pins are Maple and if the situation gets extreme long pieces of thin scrap and tape can make a quicky jig and easy to see. :smile:

1 Like

Yea, making jig outlines is a default step in every image I make. It’s pretty foolproof and makes doing multiple sets of burns so much easier.
I haven’t experimented enough with SnapMarks, and I do want to, but for now jigs are working fine for me. Collect your self a BIG stack of cardboard. :grin:

1 Like

Yep, I started doing the same thing! I will actually write the thickness of the material on the paper as well, just in case I forget what the number is when I’m uploading everything to the GUI

I don’t have access to snapmarks yet, but, hopefully soon. Luckily for me I can get cardboard very easily from work, so, free supply of jig making materials!

1 Like

The rollout of the snapmark functionality has been stopped for now.

1 Like

Yep…sad…

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.